How To Get Your T.I.N

See all awesome STOCK REPORTS in PinoyInvestor! (size 280x280)
This post might be out of the ordinary but I guess as a CPA I have to explain some points why it is necessary for an individual or a entrepreneur to secure a T.I.N.(Tax Payer Identification Number).
 One of our readers ask if he can open an online stock brokerage account without a T.I.N. and advice him to inquire if the T.I.N. can just follow. Unfortunately the online stock brokerage firm do require T.I.N. 
What is T.I.N. anyways?
As the name says, it is our B.I.R.’s way of identifying a taxpayer. A person or  juridical persons(these are “person” created via law like partnership and corporations) has to secure a T.I.N. in order for B.I.R. to properly assigned what taxes should you be paying based on the sources of your income.
The T.I.N. acts like an I.D. for all taxpayers. In the US the main Identifications use is the SSN(Social Security Number) and Driver’s License number. These two numbers will be needed in one’s day to day transactions since these are highly monitored number by US government agencies.



Now in the Philippines nearest highly monitored number is T.I.N. because all employers are required to secure each of their new employees who does not have  yet a T.I.N. So if you are employed or just got employed, you should have a T.I.N. number already. You might have filled up a B.I.R. form during your orientation process, that form is your T.I.N. application. Ask your Human Resources department if they haven’t given you your number. Once registered they usually give back a temporary T.I.N ID card. You can laminate this piece of paper and it will surely served as one of your I.D.
Below is a sample of a permanent T.I.N. card
Now if you have not been employed yet but you are planning to be a business owner or will be practicing your profession. You can secure your T.I.N. online through the B.I.R.’s website under the EREG
Register online and pay the corresponding registration fee if you are a sole proprietorship or a professional(which I believe is 500 pesos) through AAB(Accredited Agent Banks).
About the blogger

Louis Delos Angeles is a Certified Public Accountant, blogger behind Investing in Philippines, and author of Investing in Stocks: Preparing for the future small amount at a time. Check him out in Google+ Learn more about Louis and his financial freedom advocacy here.

Enjoyed this post? Please consider leaving a comment , subscribing to the RSS feed, or join our email list .
See all awesome STOCK REPORTS in PinoyInvestor! (size 280x280)

387 comments for “How To Get Your T.I.N

  1. kary
    July 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm

    hi sir good day!

    if it is stated in your contract of service that there is no employer-employee relationship, i still get to pay an income tax right? the income i receive exceeds the minimum wage.

    • July 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm

      If there is no employer-employee relationship then the payment you received is considered as business income of which you are considered as a service contractor. In that case you have to sum up all your income for the year to determine if you are within the required limit for you to file an income tax return. And since you have exceeded the minimum you got to file income tax return and pay the appropriate tax. If the company you serviced have not deducted you withholding tax you will surely pay a higher tax.

      This is assuming you are acting on your own and not under a third party service company servicing the company to whom you rendered your service.

      I hope this helps Kary.

      • kary
        July 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm

        Thanks for your quick response sir.

        They informed me that they will be withholding a certain percentage from the pay that I get. I work for a certain government agency. The acctg in charge mentioned the term “percentage tax” last friday. I forgot to ask further so I looked it up on google and there is a so called “tax withheld from government money payments - percentage tax” so I think that is what she was talking about. Since there is that “percentage tax” term, it made me confused as to whether the tax type that i should be paying is income tax.

        • July 21, 2013 at 2:39 pm

          Hi there again Kary,

          Since you are as I see a service contractor to the government or any other business they will deduct a certain tax. Percentage tax s actually a business tax meaning you can deduct this to your income to determine how much income is considered taxable. One reason why your are being deducted Percentage tax is that you don’t qualify t be a VAT-registered person or business. I have here a link from BIR to help you more on Percentage tax go to this link and read to learn more. Also percentage tax varies depending on what service or goods you delivered.

          Again I hope this helps and clarified your confusion Kary till then.

          • July 21, 2013 at 2:41 pm

            oh by the way 🙂 since you are already working with the government ask them all you need to know like how to file, what form, when etc. surely they will help you out on that.

          • kary
            July 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm

            Thanks again for your response sir. 🙂

            Let me correct a part of my previous comment… “Since there is that “percentage tax” term, it made me confused as to whether I should be filing for an income tax return or a percentage tax return”. Im actually a professional, so will my service be classified under “exercise of profession” (which calls for the filing of an income tax return rather than a percentage tax return)?

            I’m actually planning on asking them more about this tomorrow, but I decided to gather more information from other sources so that I can double check. 🙂 Thank you so much for taking some time in answering my queries. 🙂

      • james
        January 28, 2015 at 10:45 pm

        hello Sir Louis, Can I get TIN number without purpose.?

      • January 28, 2017 at 10:02 am

        Hi there. I have three questions. 1. who is responsible of processing your ITR if you are employed by a private company? you or the company? 2. if you dont have Tin no. yet is it ok if the company keep deducting tax from your salary even you dont have tin no yet?3. if they are allowed to do that where does the money go??since we dont have record in BIR???thank you so much!

  2. Rye
    December 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm

    how long does it take to have a tin id card??..
    I already have a tin number.. this is my first job.. im not used to having government id’s.. 🙂
    tnx 4 replying!

    • December 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm

      Merry Christmas Rye,

      I remember getting my TIN card when I was already in my third job. I made a request together with my co-worker and after a few weeks I guess it so happens that our office needs to renew something with the BIR so my senior tag me along to teach me what to do in BIR and since we were there we ask if we do have our paper TIN ID. We were lucky it was already available. Mind you it is not laminated back then so we did laminate our cards. I hope BIR does a better job with TIN id now a days.

  3. Jac
    January 12, 2014 at 8:57 pm

    Hi, if im a government employee with TIN number at present and i want to have my own business will the BIR Issue me a new TIN no. For my business.

    • January 13, 2014 at 5:58 pm

      Hi there Jac,

      If it is a simple sole proprietorship you can use your current TIN but if you organize your business as partnership or corporation you will net a new TIN for those business since under the law partnership or corporation is a separate entity from yourself. I am not quite sure on the part if you employ staff or people though, let me check that as well.

  4. Jac
    January 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm

    Sir, thank you so much for your help.

  5. Mrcd
    March 5, 2014 at 10:07 pm

    Hi sir! This is a very informative post. I’m currently registering for my TIN number. Since I am considered as an Individual consultant and was employed by a company where in they have no employer-employee relationship, I find it hard to get my TIN number. Any feedback or idea on what’s the best thing to do? BIR is asking way too many unrelated requirements from me.

    P.S. I am a project based employee and this is my first job, unluckily, I already signed the contract and there’s no turning back. If only I knew getting my own TIN is so difficult….


    • March 6, 2014 at 7:21 pm

      Good day Mrcd,

      Sakit sa ulo noh(a pain in the head right 🙂 )

      You mentioned that you have not applied for a TIN yet and you have never been employed as well. Since your work with this company is not an employee-employer it is correct that you are classified as a consultant and thus a contractor. Now are you working by yourself or you have some staff? If you are working on your own you better register as a self-employed professional. Now the problem with BIR is that they will view or categories you as a business. That is why you have to comply with the requirements of BIR in regards to registering business by practicing a profession(you need like your estimated earnings in order for them to determine if you will be paying VAT or percentage tax and other taxes). Clarify with whomever you talk at the RDO(Revenue District Office) that you are applying for first time for your TIN and that you will be a self-employed/professional.

      From there I guess it is all that, you have to provide what they ask you to provide as proof.

      Good luck!

  6. CAR
    April 7, 2014 at 2:33 pm

    I am new to this tax thing.. I am a part time proofreader/editor in a Japanese company for a year now and we always renew our contract every month so we are not deducted of any tax, GSIS, SSS nor Philhealth.. but I would like to have my own TIN and pay my own tax but really I want to know how to get my own TIN and what category will I be in order for me to pay my own tax… oohh soo soo confused! My monthly salary depends on how much work we do… the more we edit the more money we get.. please I need help!

    • April 7, 2014 at 9:32 pm

      Hi CAR,

      Since there is no employee-employer relationship I think you can best described yourself as contractor. I am wondering though how come the Japanese company is not asking any form of receipt or if it is a contract/agreement are they asking invoice or any form of billing from you. Such documents will be their proof of such purchase of service. Now what I can suggest is for you to consult an CPA or go directly to the BIR. You will register as a business since you are in nature a professional working as a contractor.

      The bad thing about this is that the BIR will find out that you have not been correctly filling your income and appropriate tax because you are not registered. You might end up paying fees for non-filing and even interest on unpaid taxes. So better a CPA(a CPA friend could be of help). Better straighten it now while you have just received a year of income. The earlier the smaller late fees and penalties.

      • caar09
        April 7, 2014 at 10:13 pm

        this is helpful! thanks Louis 🙂 My officemate told me the same thing.. actually we don’t even have a payslip! I even forgot to record all my monthly salary huhu what kind of citizen am I?! Well I just got a talk with our HR Head after work and she said that she will get me a TIN number (she gave me a form then will submit it the next day) but IDK how can we file my ITR after that AND HOW CAN I GET THROUGH THE LONG PROCESS OF IT! especially on what I have just learned huhu

        • April 8, 2014 at 10:14 pm

          I think this is the form for Registration (click this link not sure though if this is already updated. If your HR will get you a TIN make sure it is not for employee, remember you don’t have an employee-employer relationship. You should register as a professional if you are practicing a profession or register as a sole proprietor as a contractor. Next week is the deadline and it will be a tedious and there will be lots of leg work but yup better do it now while it is still a year… you know how BIR puts interst and late fees sometimes those are even bigger than the original tax that you should be paying lolz. Good luck!

  7. Jonathan
    May 3, 2014 at 1:10 am

    HI sir!
    I was an OFW currently based on KSA, I apply for one stockbroker in the Philippines to invest in the stock market, but they required to have a TIN no. because according to them as last April 28, 2014 BIR publicized to have a TIN no as requirement when applying to invest.
    As I visit BIR website and even if I was here in abroad, does online application for having a TIN no. applicable to me and what type of taxpayers do I use, or do I need to submit form 1902 personally in BIR office in Philippines.?
    i just really wanted to start investing in the stock market.

    Your response is highly appreciated


    • May 4, 2014 at 9:42 pm

      Hi Jonathan,

      I am not quite sure with BIR’s eREG online facility. I did check it but it shows it is for self-employed only meaning either you are a sole proprietorship business owner, a practicing professional like doctors running their own clinic, or a online marketer/contractor. May question is since you are working in KSA did you go through a agency? If so better ask them if they have applied you for your TIN. Also I would like to know if before working abroad did you got employed in the Philippines? If so you might already have a TIN. Be careful in securing a second TIN because that is a criminal offense. The best way to get yourself a TIN if your agency or if you didn’t get one from your former Philippine employer is to ask the consul there in KSA. They must help you with that since you are an OFW doing a great sacrifice for the Philippines.

    • ee
      May 8, 2014 at 12:08 pm

      hi jonathan!i just got my tin i applied online,just like you im an ofw also.just type bir tin online application in you tube it really helps!

      • May 8, 2014 at 10:10 pm

        Thank you very much ee for answering Jonathan’s question. Yes our BIR indeed is making efforts to better serve the Filipino people. I hope they truly make the effort to really collect the right taxes so that the burden of other taxes that our Congress might pass into law will not add to the taxes the common Pinoy like you guys have to pay becuase BIR short collected due to large taxpayers who don’t pay their tax correctly.

      • June 26, 2014 at 12:25 pm

        @ee, kindly email me [email protected] and give your testimonial kung paano ka nakakuha ng TIN. I’m gathering OFW’s who were able to secure their TIN while abroad to help others get their own as well. Thanks.

  8. Pau
    May 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm

    Hi po! Can I get a TIN if I get a job (contractual) from an individual person as a personal assistant of a retired person?

    • May 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm

      Yes of course you can get a TIN. But you got to know what type of TIN you will be getting. I am not quite sure but better ask the personnel in BIR when you apply. The thing is your employer is a retired person and I am thinking you will be the only employee he/she will have in that case he/she does not need to withhold from your salary thus you need a self-employed type of TIN. So better inquire in BIR.

  9. mc
    May 7, 2014 at 8:04 pm

    Hi Louis, Is there anyway to know your TIN online? I am working abroad I cannot make it to their offices to ask them personally regarding my TIN. Thank you.

  10. CJ
    June 4, 2014 at 7:17 pm

    Mr. Louis please help me! I was hired by a company as a sales executive but I think technically as an insurance agent - pinaganda lang nila is my first time to get TIN so I tried to get it online. (stupid me!) after that a confirmation email was sent to me with my TIN and next steps to do - to visit the RDO I’m registered in and pay the registration fee to their accredited bank.. The thing is I’m not really sure if I’m still going to push through with my application with this company. So here’s my questions: 1. What will happen to the TIN I was issued with if I didn’t continue my employment? 2. What will happen if I decide not to pay the 500 PHP registration fee? and annual un di ba? Do I still need to pay it even though I decided not to be an insurance agent? 3. How will I edit my record in BIR if for example I decided to be a normal employee earning purely compensation income? PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS 🙂

    • June 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm

      Hi CJ,

      Just to clarify. You have no TIN even before your possible employment/insurance agent. Go ahead to the RDO and tell them to change your status as a regular employee TIN so that you wont pay the 500 registration fee(that is for businesses). If you are watching the news, Zoren Legaspi is now being run after by the BIR due to the alleged multiple TIN which is illegal and punishable by law. Get a TIN(your type being an employee) so that when you get a job you already have a TIN(you just now need to change RDO). The TIN assigned to you is permanent but you can still change its type from employee to business or even both.

      So the best way for now I guess is to go to your RDO and ask them to correct your type.Tell them you made a mistake in the online application.

      Hope this helps.

      • CJ
        June 5, 2014 at 11:34 am

        That was a really a fast reply Mr. Louis! Another question.. what form do I need to fill up for changing the status of my TIN that I stupidly got online? Is it the form 1902? And can I change it immediately even if I don’t have an official employer yet? The thing that really confused me yesterday was the thing the RDO staff told me - he told me that whether I continue to be an insurance agent or to be a regular employee, I have to pay the 500 php registration fee. Good thing I saw your site.

        I really appreciate your prompt reply Mr Louis. Thank you so much!

  11. rose
    June 8, 2014 at 9:28 pm

    Good day,
    sir, im afraid but i think i have 2 TIN … how do i cancel or deactivate the other one?
    Pls help..

    Thank you..-

    • June 11, 2014 at 9:32 pm

      Well you have to go to BIR. That I guess is the only way. Probably you will pay something(fine or administrative things etc.) try to look into it first before going there. Try to find a valid excuse for it if you have one, if not then you can’t do anything. Answer whatever fines you will get.

      That is why we need to modernize and upgrade our government’s system and the way they handle things to avoid this things. Many people keep on syaing that computerizing and systematizing the government would lead to mass fraud by those who has the means and those who wanted to sabotage but actually a lot are just afraid because their “under the table” things will be detected faster.

  12. roxyian
    June 9, 2014 at 11:38 am

    Hi, I just want to ask if we can get a TIN without job yet nor business? Because my boyfriend was not given by his previous employer nor applied for it (we thought so). He worked there for almost 2 years and already passed the forms 4 to 5 times already. Our HR Personnel told us to submit the form again and we waited that loooong for no result. We attempted to do it ourselves at BIR but they told us that he doesn’t have TIN yet and needed to talk to our HR about it. Omygod! Again and again? Until we resigned and nothing happened. I would appreciate your response. Thanks!

    • June 11, 2014 at 9:41 pm

      Get the BIR form 1902 you submitted to your HR and bring that yourself to your employer’s RDO. Your HR just have to fill in some of their info and usually they are the one who should submit it but if they hadn’t ask it back and go file it yourself. If he has been working for two years under what name/TIN does the tax withheld go to?

      That is a big question.

  13. JP
    June 25, 2014 at 11:22 am

    Hello, sir, I’m glad to have run into your website. I hope you can help me. I’m actually asking questions for other people, as well as myself.

    a.) Is it okay to get a TIN even if you’re unemployed? A friend of mine doesn’t have a TIN (he’s worked as an errand boy for a carinderia, but he has no TIN), and he wants to get one bec. he’s planning on getting a job. He’s sent job applications, although no interviews yet, but he’s staying positive. Can he get a TIN so he can have that requirement already in the event that a company does hire him?

    b.) More than one TIN is illegal, right? Another friend of mine worked at a company nine years ago, but only for a couple of months. She was an ordinary employee, but as she wasn’t able to pass their training period, she was let go. During her time there, she says she’s filled in the application forms for the HR. In fact, she’d received her SSS number because of that company, but she wasn’t sure if she has a TIN already. She’s been a housewife for the past nine years, so she hasn’t worked as an employee, and didn’t bother to check on her TIN. Her question is how can she find out if she already has a TIN, because she’s starting a sari-sari store, and if she has an employee TIN, she’d like to update/change its type?

    c.) My final question is for myself, sir. I’ve worked part-time for different companies (mostly fast food joints) for several years now. Even though I’m only a part-timer, and my wages were always below minimum, my employers have asked me to fill in BIR and SSS application forms. Now that I’ve graduated, I’m ready to move on to a full-time job, and I’d like a TIN of my own for that. I don’t think that I have one yet; none of my former employers gave me one. I want to get a TIN online, but I’m unsure because of all those applications I’ve filled in before. What if I already have a TIN, but I just wasn’t informed? If it helps, I only ever received cash payment from my jobs before, so I didn’t receive any payslips or similar information sheets that can show me if I have a TIN. Should I proceed with my online application for TIN?

    I’m sorry to bother you with so many questions. I’d really appreciate any help and advice you can give my friends and I in this matter, sir. We’ve searched the net for answers before, and so far, your site has been the most informative. Thank you in advance for any help you send our way, and so sorry again for the bother!

    • June 25, 2014 at 11:10 pm

      Hi JP!

      You are always welcome to ask question. I am not a tax expert but I hope I can shed a light to your queries.

      1. A Filipino needs a TIN(Taxpayer Identification Number) for all transaction that might lead you to pay tax. I am not sure myself if we could get a TIN even without a source of income. According to the BIR website( TIN are issued to new employees after accomplishing BIR form 1902 and the employer will process the same. I will research further on this.

      2. If your friend remembers which RDO she was enrolled to for the TIN, she can check it with that RDO.

      3. If you have filled forms before ask your former employer if you were indeed process a TIN. If the employer don’t know also, ask them where they have enrolled you that is your the RDO of the company you work before. When you know that already go to that RDO and inquire. If you were deducted tax and if upon checking with the RDO they never remitted any tax withheld they are in big trouble. So your former employer should be able to provide you that information.

      Again I am not a tax expert. I will research more about your questions. FOr our other readers who might have more idea kindly share your thoughts as well.

  14. JP
    June 26, 2014 at 10:19 am

    Thank you so much for your quick and helpful advice, sir! We’ll go to the concerned RDOs. One more question, though, that friend of mine who’s looking for a job is wondering if he can get a TIN under EO 98, since he’s not employed yet anyway. But he’s now thinking of getting a passport because a relative of his has promised to help him land a job abroad, but he must first secure a passport. Can he get a TIN under EO 98? Again, thanks for the quick reply! You’ve been very helpful, sir.

    • June 28, 2014 at 11:52 pm

      Hmmm I don’t think getting a passport requires your TIN but it’s a good argument though. Again I need to research if such is possible. Under EO 98 it requires that you should have a transaction with the government like applying for business permits, applying for your professional license, etc. When you get employed you become obliged to pay tax which is a transaction with the government. But again let me check on this.

  15. JP
    July 2, 2014 at 10:49 am

    I just wanted to say thank you for your helpful advice. Both my friend and I have gone to our respective RDO’s and they were able to tell us that we already have TINs, so that’s one problem solved. My other friend is still looking into EO 98, as well. Thank you!

  16. Joseph
    July 2, 2014 at 6:45 pm

    Hello! I just want to ask something about this new TIN issuance system the BIR has. I just started working for a company (part-time) and is in need of a TIN for a bank application and for the job itself. The company I am working for wants me to apply for the TIN myself and I am not sure if I can do that. This is my first job and I have yet to get used to things related to work and paying taxes. According to BIR’s eREG page, I can get my TIN from my employer but, like what I have said above, my employer asks me to get the TIN myself. I ain’t sure if I can get it myself as an individual.

    Any form of enlighten will help! Thanks.

    • July 2, 2014 at 11:47 pm

      this is odd. Yes you can get your TIN on your own but as an employee and if it is your first time, your employer should be the one to process it so that they could inform their RDO that they have additional employee. I will have to look and research about this as well. Based on the procedures listed in BIR’s website ( check it here you as an employee have to fill up form 1902 and submit to your employer together with the required valid IDs. Or it could be that you fill up the form gove it to your employer to fill up the section they need to fill up and you submit it to the RDO where you are supposed to work.

  17. Jaja
    July 5, 2014 at 5:33 am

    Good Morning Sir! I was employed last June 2013 under an agency on a contractual basis. It was my first job. This March 2014 i quit my job (AWOL for some reasons)… so practically i was a terminated employee. Although I was issued a TIN by the HR. I have no idea if i paid my taxes during the period of 9 months. I might get employed this july so my dilemma is will my account be as well terminated since i have no work for 3 months? What will happn to my TIN? Hope you can give advice. Please help..

    • July 5, 2014 at 10:16 pm

      Hi Jaja,

      First upir TIN will be your TIN forever(unless you deliberately change your name and identity 🙂 just kidding). DId your employer withheld you tax? Check your payslip and still ask for your Form 2316. Those are your proof that your former employer remitted the tax they withheld from your pay.

      Hope this clarified your inquiries.

      • October 11, 2015 at 10:33 pm

        Hi sir in relation to the previous question, what if your previous employer won’t give your 2316 and there is no possible way for you to clear up things. Is it okay if you’ll just use 2305 instead and just update your employer? Thank you!

        • October 11, 2015 at 11:27 pm

          Hi Asther,

          All employers now are obligated to give 2316 or else they might be fined. As I remember if an employer fails to give to employee the annual 2316 which is usually on or before January 31st for last year. Also if you ended your employee - employer relationship within the year the employer should provide 2316 when requested by employee as part of all the exit clearances of the employee(this is what I know so far 🙂 ). SO if for reason your previous employer didn’t give you after asking for a copy you could file a complaint to BIR but of course this will take time so in some cases what others do is ask their new employer to just update. But make sure you did your best to secure this 2316 from your previous employer and that you keep your copy because in the end you will be needing this. If it was your fault that you lost your copy please be humble enough to ask a copy form your previous employer unless you were AWOL or other issues.

          Hope this helps

  18. Shay
    July 27, 2014 at 7:08 pm

    Hi, Sir!

    I just got hired for my first job and I’m currently in the process of completing my pre employment requirements including the TIN. I’m a bit confused though, I got the same problem as Mr. Joseph. The HR told me that I could get my TIN at the BIR Office. But when I visited the BIR website, it was indicated the could a TIN from my employer. That’s why I’m not quite sure what to do.

    In addition, does the BIR eReg system accept newly hired employees? Because the only category I found there is for Self-employed and single proprietor. I’m actually avoiding the hassle in going to the RDO.

    I hope you could help me.

    Thank you.

  19. CJ
    August 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm

    Hi Sir, it’s me again, CJ.. I asked you about my situation 2 months ago about my tin that I stupidly got online.. turns out that it is only for professionals/business owners.. I am just a regular employee. Now as you suggested, I went back to my Rdo again and asked them to change the type of TIN that I got,,so that I wouldn’t pay the 500php registration fee anymore (which is for professionals and business owners only). But they told me that for them to change my TIN type, (from professional to a regular employee type of TIN), I STILL NEED to pay the 500php registration fee no matter what. It is like a ‘fee’ for them to change my TIN type.

    Is it really like that? It is really a hassle to me because I haven’t even started earning yet and then I still have to pay the 500php? Please can you enlighten me about this? The thing that I don’t understand is why would I STILL NEED TO PAY the 500php registration fee when all I ask is for them to change my TIN type? Is this the price of my stupidity?

  20. CJ
    August 9, 2014 at 9:06 am

    Hi sir, its me again. So the bir staff told me that I still need to pay the 500php registration fee before they can change my Tin Type. It is like a PENALTY because I registered incorrectly - which was an honest mistake!

    I was thinking sir, if I cancel my current TIN, and then get a new one again, this time as a Regular Employee, do you think I can avoid paying the 500php? I REALLY don’t want to pay it. Please I need your professional advice. Thank you.

    • August 13, 2014 at 12:02 am

      Hi CJ,

      Again I am not an expert on this matters. You know our government whatever you file there are fees since effectively you filed for that TIN I guess they will insist you to pay for it. Again I am not a tax expert and also on how to deal with BIR on transactions like this.

  21. Abie
    August 20, 2014 at 9:45 pm

    Hi sir! I just want to ask something about this TIN stuff.

    I was hired 4 years ago for a month. Just a month. Then I didn’t finished my contract (in short, early endo) So i didn’t put it in my Work experience. now that I’m about to start a real job, im scared that this will be an issue. Can i just get a new TIN number and cancel the old one? And how much it’ll cost me? THANK YOU SO MUCH. Please respond. 🙂

    • August 24, 2014 at 4:56 pm

      Hi Abie,

      It is always good to start right so better tell your new employer that you might have a TIN number. As for your one month job in the past you can just tell them that it was a short job that is why you didn’t include it as part of your work experience. That way things are clear. I supposed they will asked you to check with the RDO of that former employer if indeed your application was process. If it was so then you already have a TIN and there should be no cost just by inquiring. If that is the case you need not apply for another TIN or else magagaya ka sa kaso nung isnag artista lolz.

      Don’t be shy or be afraid, if that is the situation wala kang magagawa. You have to come clean with your employer para in the future wla ng aberya di ba 😉

      Hope this helps you Abie!

  22. nikko
    September 18, 2014 at 1:27 am


    I just want to ask if a friend of mine can process the application of my TIN on my behalf? This is my first job. Thanks.


    • September 18, 2014 at 10:57 pm

      Hi nikko,

      I am not pretty sure but I think it could be done. But to make it sure better be the one to process it for any questions that BIR personnel might ask.

  23. dian
    September 30, 2014 at 4:52 pm

    good day,

    i just want to inquire how to get TIN number if OFW?I am working abroad and i want to open an account in col financial..but i need to have TIN number.

    thank you

    • October 1, 2014 at 12:14 am

      Hi Dian,

      First make sure that you don’t have a TIN specially if you were employed before in the Philippines. If you really never have the chance to get it before try to ask the embassy where you are working, I believe that is the best way to know how can you get your TIN. Because if you get it online I believe it will be a self-employed and you will pay the yearly registration fee. You can get a TIN for the purpose of dealing or transacting with the government and I believe not pay the registration fee. Let me ask this to some tax experts or better yet if anyone have done so please share your experience.

      Hope this helps dian

  24. Anne
    September 30, 2014 at 8:44 pm

    hello, i’ve worked as a front desk officer in a hotel for 8 months but they did not process a TIN for all the employees. So i have no idea what I should do. Should I apply as a self-employed/professional? also i’m from bulacan but the nearest RDO for me are the ones in Quezon City, can I just go to QC instead of the one in bulacan?

    • October 1, 2014 at 12:10 am

      Hi Anne,

      Hmmm they never processed your TIN? Even the employees who got employed the first time? If you are a new employee its your first employer who usually get the TIN. 8 months is long already and they never got you your TIN, how did they remit the tax they deduct from your pay?

      For your second question. I believe you better clear this up? Look up for the RDO of your job in the hotel and inquire if indeed you were never processed for your TIN. Then if they really did not you can get a TIN at the RDO of your current employment if not employed ask the staff at RDO what is your best choice since you are not employed and not in business(You can get a TIN for the purpose of paying the government or any transaction with the government. If you apply for a TIN as self-employed you will be paying the yearly registration fee even if you have no income because you as views as a business). Technically as I remember you should get your TIN where your business is or where you practice your profession so if you are in Quezon City and you do business in QC get your TIN in QC.

      Hope this helps, again I am not a tax expert and the above are just what I know. Seek further help from tax experts.

  25. Grixy
    October 4, 2014 at 4:55 pm

    Good day po! Can I get TIN even if I’m unemployed? The agency I was applying for a job is requiring me to get a TIN, PHILHEALTH, and PAG IBIG.

    • October 5, 2014 at 4:55 pm

      Hi Grixy,

      Of course you can get your TIN even unemployed specially when you are transacting with the government like paying real property tax, etc.. But looking at your situation may I ask if the agency is your first job or is the agency is some kind of a you being an agent and not an employee? Because if you fall on the first type meaning you are employed by the agency to work for one of their clients then the agency is your employer and they should be the one processing such requirements if this is your first job. Now if you have a previous job then you must already have those and all you need is to update it and submit it to your new employer. On the second type you could be an agent only just like real estate agents who earn by commission. In this type the relationship is like a business to another business, that is you are not their employee but offering your services as an agent thus you need to have a self-employed TIN(just like that of professionals) or if you alrady have an employee TIN you need to update that TIN to be for a self-employed(business owner).

      If you were employed before you must have these already and all you need is to update them. Just a reminder I am not a tax expert and my suggestion are just what I know in regards to the subject. I hope this helps you and to your new job/business. 😉

  26. anna
    October 8, 2014 at 5:50 pm

    hello sir, im currently working on my job for the past 2 months and already passed the BIR forms in our HR dept. Right now, im applying for a part time job as an insurance agent and they are asking me for a tin so i went to nearest rdo to check and they told me i still don’t have it. Can i apply for a tin under E.O. 98? because i needed it asap. thank you!

    • October 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm

      Hi anna,

      I am not quite sure about your situation. Is the job of two months your first job? If so you will get an employee TIN. But since you are now doing sideline as an agent you need to update your TIN to be both employee and self-employed/business. Ask your HR where did they file your employee TIN application and go to that RDO and update that application to be both for employee and self-employed/business.

      The BIR personnel should be able to assist you with that.

      Hope this answers your question anna.(again I am not a tax expert just sharing what I know about this topic)

  27. anna
    October 8, 2014 at 6:16 pm

    Additional question, under what type of taxpayer am i going to apply for? tnx!

  28. Carla de Ramos
    November 5, 2014 at 5:06 am

    Hello, I used to work in a company with no employer-employee relationship. So I was given with a BIR Form 1901 and been using BIR Form 2307. Now I finally landed a job in a private bank this month. They gave me BIR Forms 1905 and 2305. I have no problems in securing these forms. My biggest prolem now is my former employer doesn’t issue a BIR Form 2316. To make it worse, it is one of the major pre-employment requirements with my new employer. I want to know the best thing to do to sufice this requirement.

    • November 8, 2014 at 10:06 pm

      Hi Carla,

      First things first is I would like to know if your employer knows what kind of relationship you had with the former source of income you have. Since they gave you form 1905 and 2305 then I assume they are aware that you were not an employee before thus you wont have any form 2316. You should provide them form 2307 instead.

      They are correct in providing you form 1905 which is a way to update your TIN and your RDO; and 2305 to change you from self-employed to employed status. Since you are not an employee from your last job but rather a contractor the correct form to show the tax withheld from you is form 2305. Bring your forms 2305 and talk to your HR. If they insist tell them to ask the accountant of the company.

      Again I am clarifying that I am not a tax expert and my answer to your queries are so far what I know. If you need further clarification seek the help of a tax expert which might be a Certified Public Accountant who is a tax expert or a accredited Tax Agent of the BIR or better yet a true tax expert like our very own BIR commissioner Kim Henares.

      I hope this helps you in your troubles with your employers HR.

  29. The Spinner
    November 8, 2014 at 11:32 am

    Good day sir. I just wanted to ask if I should get my TIN number asap? Or I will wait for the company to get it? I asked one of the people in my dad’s office so he can help me out with the requirements for my 1st job, he said the TIN will be given by the company that I will work to. I’m confused since I was told by the employer that it was a requirement.

    • November 8, 2014 at 9:54 pm

      Hi The Spinner,

      I this is your first then it is supposed to be the responsibility of your first employer to process your application for your TIN. Now if your employer’s HR department are too lazy to do that then talk to them and ask them to fill up their part on the form 1902 and since they are lazy ask the employer’s RDO and you can go ahead and submit it yourself. But as per BIR procedures your part as the employee is to fill up the form and submit the requirements( see link

      Again this is applicable for first time employee meaning you never got employed before and has never been issued a TIN. If you were able to secure a TIN number from other purpose like if you have transaction with the government and a TIN was secured for that then it is just a matter of updating that TIN to be updated to an employee TIN.

      I am not a tax expert so if you have further questions or have certain areas unclear please do seek the advice of a tax expert.(Kim Henares is 😉 )

  30. loise
    November 16, 2014 at 5:49 pm


    Changing TIN status self-employed to employee.

    I just want to ask Self-Employed Professional (Nurse) the status of my TIN and I want close/change the status to employee. I’m working in a agency rending my services as a nurse. My question is how do I process and what are the requirements to change the status of my TIN to employee? I’m planning to work in a company as a regular employee not a professional (nurse) no more.

    • November 17, 2014 at 10:51 pm

      Hi loise,

      Ask your new employer they usually know what to do about it, most likely they will ask you to fill up form 2305. If you are from a different RDO you need to update to your new RDO as well through form 1905. Let them know that your TIN was originally Self-Employed TIN. If they don’t know what to do just fill up the forms and make sure you have your old COR(since you said you filed for self-employed TIN before) for 1905 go to your previous RDO have stamped receive for your change of RDO to your new employers RDO. Since your already there better inquire how will you change your TIN from Self-Employed to Employee.

      (again I am not a tax expert and my advice and opinions are base on what I just know. Seek the help of a tax agent, CPA with broader knowledge on tax matters or a lawyer who has broader knowledge in handling tax matters)

  31. Sarah
    November 18, 2014 at 2:32 am

    Good evening, sir.

    So I passed the initial interview for an online teaching company, and they are asking for my TIN to continue the hiring process. I don’t have a TIN. They said that I am not considered as an employer, so therefore they cannot give me papers or anything like that. But they will be deducting 10% from me every cut off. I just need a TIN number. What should I do? Thank you!

    • November 18, 2014 at 9:26 pm

      Hi Sarah,

      So they want to hire you as a contractor. If you don’t have a TIN yet this means you never employed before. You got to go to BIR and file a TIN application as a self-employed individual. With this you will be ask to pay a fee for the registration and I think you have to have a some seminars to attend and some other things to do because you are views as a business. Go to where your residence or place of business’s RDO(try googling which RDO should you be first before going).

      Hope this helps.

  32. November 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm

    Hi Sir,

    Gusto ko lamang magtanong regarding po sa TIN isa po akong contractual employee for 10months sabi po sa akin ay wala talaga akong TIN dahil contractual lang po ako. Plano ko po sanang mag apply ulit sa work pero may concern po ako dahil requirements nga po sa company na gusto kong applayan ang TIN baka di nila ihonor kung sakali ung work experience ko kapag nalaman na wala akong TIN. At kung sakali pong ma tanggap ako sila parin po ba ang mag apply para sa TIN? Sana po inyong masagot ang aking katanungan, salamat po.

    • November 21, 2014 at 10:58 pm

      Salamat Rona for asking.

      Hmmm actually kailanagn kong magreserach para rito. Di ko sure kung bakit hindi ka kinuhanan ng TIN. Kung wala kang tin check mo ung binabayad sayo kung may kaltas na tax… kung mayron pano nila ito nireremit sa BIR?

      Second kung wala kang TIN talaga sabihin mo un sa new job mo na hndi na contractual. Sabihin m na hindi kayo kinuhanan ng dating trabaho mo kais contractual ang employment type mo. Dapat pagfillupin ka ng baging employer ng TIN application form.

      Magcheck lng ako online at sa BIR website kung ano ba dapat pag “contractual” ang employment mo at kung dapat kang kuhanan ng TIN.

      Salamat po ulit Rona!

  33. Juey
    November 24, 2014 at 12:49 am

    Good day Sir!

    First job ko po sa isang project based na trabaho so contractual lang po ako dun. First time ko palang kukuha ng TIN, nagpunta ako sa BIR at ang binigay sakin na form ay 1902 at may pinapafill-up-pan sa employer pero sabi ng Administrative Officer namin wala daw po kaming employer-employee relationship kaya hindi sila magpi-fill up nun, so I guess hindi 1902 ang form na dapat i-accomplish ko, tama po ba? Sabi ng office mate ko naman 1904 daw ang inaccomplish nilang form noon. Tama po ba na 1904 ang i-file ko sa BIR to get my TIN? Kailangan ko na po talaga magkaroon ng TIN:( please help po.

    Thank you po ng madami.

  34. gelai
    November 26, 2014 at 11:07 pm

    Hi paano po ba ang pagkuha ng tin id card? May tin number na po ako? Dp ko na issue han ng tin id card? Need pa po ba ng valid id dun sa bir para po sa pagkuha ng tin id card? Thanks

  35. ken
    November 27, 2014 at 6:37 pm

    gud eve po sir louis! this is my first na kmuha ng TIN number. makukuha din ba agad yung TIN number on the day na nag apply ako ng TIn?

    • November 27, 2014 at 11:48 pm

      Im not sure today Ken,

      Nakuha ko kasi ung sakin years ago in my first job but I guess they should be able to assign you a number and just give the number to you. Yung TIN card pwede naman balikan.

      Hope this helps Ken

  36. Argel
    December 12, 2014 at 10:23 pm

    Sir I am an ex-abroad if I want to get TIN no. What will I do? I dont have a work as of now. 1month pa lang akong nsa pinas.

    • December 14, 2014 at 10:59 am

      Hi Argel,

      Check first with BIR maybe if you were an OFW your former agency or employer that sent you abroad might hva egotten you a TIN. If not the next question is why do you need a TIN number right now? If you have stock investment then you need to apply for the purpose of transacting with the government. Maybe your paying real property taxe, stock transaction tax, etc. which needs a TIN.

      Hope this helps you Argel

  37. Elain
    January 8, 2015 at 12:04 pm

    Hi! I’m a fresh graduate and I applied for a home-based job. It’s more like a part time job for me and the company withholds 10% the salary for tax. Before I get accepted, they need my TIN. Unfortunately, I don’t have one yet.

    I will also be applying for a regular job (office job) so I will need my TIN as well. I am still unemployed but perhaps after a few months, I will finally get a regular job. I can’t start my part time job without a TIN. They told me I need to get one first.

    What TIN should I get? 1901, 1902, or 1904? Please help.. TIA! 😀

    • Elain
      January 8, 2015 at 12:07 pm

      so in this case… I will have two jobs and the companies will be different. One is a part time job and the other is a regular job. Both jobs won’t affect one another.

    • January 9, 2015 at 6:45 am

      Hi Elain,

      You will have to apply for a mixed income TIN check this link to know more

      Basically you are running your own business thus you need to apply for a TIN as self-employed.Also since you intend to get a regular job make sure to also register as an employee thus you are getting two type of income earner under one TIN. Form 1901 is the right form to use. If you are getting the job better register where the RDO of that employer so that you dont have to transfer your RDO when you do get employed to that employer.

      Hope this hepls.


  38. ella
    January 14, 2015 at 5:20 pm

    Hello sir Louis, So here’s the story I applied in some company and lasted only for two months and this company let me fill out a 1902 form. And then in our payslip there is always a deduction for my tax. Now, I already have a new job and they need my tin, so I went to the BIR RDO twice that was assigned to our company to get my tin and surprisingly No Record Found about my taxes and I still don’t have a tin. Then what happened to the deductions in the payslip but I don’t mind it anyway. I just want to know why is that after I applied for my tin online ( it stated that “you have a similar record in the BIR which means that you may already have been previously registered” when I went to the BIR their was no data. I don’t want to have two tins since it against our law. Hope you could help me on what should I do. Thanks ahead.

    • January 14, 2015 at 11:38 pm

      Hi Ella,

      The best way I think is that you go back to your first employer(where you work for two months only) and request for a form 2316 at the same time if they have filed the 1902 form asks a copy with the BIR stamp received so that if that employer cant give you your TIN you can present this to the BIR where they filed it to get that TIN. Your previous employer should have a record of your TIN because that is the reference they need when filing to BIR for your taxes. if they dont have your TIN then bring the stamp copy of the 1902 to their RDO and inquire from there for your TIN. From there also you can file for a transfer to the RDO of your new employer using form 1905. Give both form 2316 from previous employer and the stamp received form 1905 to your new employer.

      Hope this helps Ella

      • ella
        January 15, 2015 at 9:44 am

        Hello Mr. Louis. Thank you for your quick response I appreciate it so much but I forgot to tell you that I made an awol on my first job so I don’t think I could go back their and ask for that information.

        • January 15, 2015 at 10:14 pm

          Now that is a problem 🙂

          DO you know the RDO of that previous employer? You can go there and ask the BIR personnel to help you with it. They should have a record.

          • ella
            January 16, 2015 at 9:22 am

            Yes, I know and I already went their and no data has found and then I asked them can I get a new one then they just said YES. But I became worried after I read the reply after I tried to apply it online. “you have a similar record in the BIR which means that you may already have been previously registered”. So why is it like that?

          • January 17, 2015 at 10:37 am

            Hi ella,

            That I dont know. Well here is what I can advise. Go on again in the online application an make sure you use the same RDO as your previous employer. If it warns you again printscreen it and go to the RDO of your previous employer and show it to them. If they check it and there is none then apply. Take note of the name of the person who process your application and in case you have indeed already a TIN you can tell BIR that this person did check it and said you have none yet when you applied. Better yet ask the person processing your TIN application to print name, sign and date your application and have a copy of the application.

            I am not a tax expert but I hope this helps.

  39. marilou
    January 18, 2015 at 10:36 am

    good day po sir luise

    my concern po ako pwede po ba makuha ang TIN ko sa online or other Branch ng BIR kasi my TIN na po ako sa pass work ko tapus need po ng bagong trabaho ko yong TIN ko nasa probensya po kasi yong pass work ko, ngayon kasi po andito na ako sa manila .
    panu po yon pwede ba makita sa online yong TIN ko or puntahan ko nalng po sa ibang branch ?

    salamat po.

    • January 19, 2015 at 11:29 am

      HI Marilou,

      Di ko pa din nagagawa yan at wala pa akong nakita sa BIR site na pwede maretrive ung TIN number. Kung mayron kang form 2316 from past work dapat nandun ung TIN mo. Kung nasa Manila ka na pwede mo tawagan ung pwedeng RDO ng new owrk mo. Inquire ka kung papano malalaman. But usually most cases na nadidinig ko is pinapabalik sa dating RDO. Kung alam mo na ung TIN mo pwede mo ng ilipat sa RDO ng employer mo. Form 1905 ata transfer of RDO which you will file sa RDO ng bagong employer. Isusubmit mo un sa bago mong employer.

      Let me try to reserach ung may parran to retrieve your TIN online but in any case pwede mo naman sigurong pakiusapan mga kamaganak mo sa probinsya to ask ung dati mong employer.

      Lately puro ganito ung problem kasi ung employee nagAWOL or basta na lng umaalis sa work. Dapat kahit umalis ka or hindi maganda ung experience mo with your work sundin mga procedures para di mahirapan sa pagkuha ng papers na importante. Sana din maayos ng BIR ung mga sistema na ganito para maayos and tracking nila.

      Hope this helps Marilou

  40. Myra
    January 18, 2015 at 11:33 pm

    hi! I want to get an updated TIN card with my married name. Can I get the TIN card in any BIR branch? Thanks

    • January 19, 2015 at 11:21 am

      Hi Myra,

      Better call first to make sure they accommodate such and if there are requirements needed. I am not usre also if you have to get it from where you applied for your TIN first or to the new RDO. I believe new TIN cards now has a fee. Or better yet why not get the unified ID.

      Hope I am able to answer your query.

  41. Lizette
    January 19, 2015 at 4:23 pm

    Hi Sir Louis, can I apply under EO98 for the reason that I want to open a mutual fund account (because I’m still unemployed)? If the answer is Yes, my follow up question is: what if I get employed, what forms do I need to fill out to change my occupation status? Thank you!

    • January 21, 2015 at 1:27 pm

      Hi Lizette,

      I think most brokers now require a TIN specially if you are paying tax. So yes you can apply for a TIN under EO98. If you get employed you just need to update your type to employee and if your employer’s RDo is different from your RDO you need to file a change in Home RDO which I believe si form 1905 or 1902 ata.

      Hope this helps Lizette.

  42. Sai
    January 21, 2015 at 12:22 am

    Unemployed po ako, kukuha po ako Student Permit (LTO), required daw po TIN..
    A. Makakakuha po kaya ako kahit unemployed?

    B. Kung makakuha naman po ako, TIN ko na rin po ‘yon sa future kung mag-work ako?

    Thanks in advance.. 🙂

    • January 21, 2015 at 1:19 pm

      Hi Sai/Alc,

      A. yes pwede ka kumuha ng TIN under EO98 sabihin mo lng you are transaction with the government office(LTO) and they required me to have a TIN.

      B. Each taxpayer must only hav eone TIN. So pagkakuha mo sa TIN mo choose the employee type. kung sakaling in the future magbusiness ka pwede mo sya update to Mixed-income.

      Hope I did answer your questions Sai/Alc

  43. Kirgy
    January 26, 2015 at 12:21 pm

    Hello sir. I have a tin na po under e0 98… Gusto ko po mag start ng business, ano po form kailangan ko? How long po yun process? Thank you

    • January 26, 2015 at 5:07 pm

      Congrats Kirgy at ikaw ay mapupunat sa mga tinatawag nating ENTREPRNUERS!

      For your question medyo madami ka gagawin depende na sa business na itatayo mo. But I guess ang tanong mo talaga ay papano mo babaguhin ung TIN type mo from EO 98. First ready mo lng ung dating record mo and go to the RDO kung saan ka nagapply ng TIN under EO. Then use form 1905 for the change of TIN type. Magtanong ka sa mga BIR personnel kung may di ka maintindihan at medyo madaming section yang form na yan at ung applicable lng sayo ang dapat mong fillupan which is change in taxpayer type. Ito ung link sa BIR website para sa step by step procedure

      Para naman sa pagtatayo ng business you might need a help of a CPA. Maprocesso kasi sa atin dito sa pinas. Iba ibang government agency both local and national ang dadaanan mo depende sa klase ng business.

      • mark winston
        January 27, 2015 at 6:32 pm

        hello po sir…wala po akong work pero gusto ko po mag invest sa mutual funds at wala po akong TIN num. kung kukuha po ako ng TIN under EO 98 pwede ko po ba yong gamitin as one of my requirement in opening a mutual fund account?,..salamat po sa response

        • January 28, 2015 at 11:44 pm

          Hi Mark,

          Ang alam ko required na ngaun ang TIN specially sa mga investment vehicles kasi may tax portion na babayaran. TIN is a form of ID so pwede mo din syang gamitin as ID.

          Hope this helps.

  44. Jhenn
    January 27, 2015 at 3:16 pm

    Hello sir.
    I have problems about my tin I felt na baka dalawa ang tin ko pero I want to verify first through hotline if I have two tin Numbers under my names before going to BIR branch office and I don’t know also my RDO pano po ba malaman ang RDO? until now I don’t have any idea about this and besides wala naman ako Trabaho na almost 1 yr kasi nag awol po ako agad sa work. And this year gusto ko pong mag apply at sa kadahilanan din di ko naasikaso last yr kasi nagbaksyon po kami ng asawa ko sa lugar nila wala akong chance na ayusin ito agad last year. so pagbalik po namin jan sa pinas this year gusto ko pong ayusin bago ako mag apply ng work.

    Pls help me sir,ano po sir ang best way na dapat gawin.

    Best regards!

    • January 28, 2015 at 11:50 pm

      Hi Jhenn,

      Di mo malalaman hanggat di mo tinatanong sa BIR if dalwa nga TIN mo. The best way I think to know your RDO is to know kung saang RDO ung dati mong employer. Kung mayron ka complete address check mo sa website ng BIR kung saan sya nagfofall na RDO. USually sa website ng BIR may details bawat RDO. Pwede ka tumawag sa number nila to know… at depended sa RDO baka matagal ka asikasuhin.

      By the way bakit mo naman naiisip na baka dalawa TIN mo? Kung ung work mo dati ay ang iyong forst employer at doon ka lnag nga fillup ng form 1902 malamang un lng ang naprocess at iisa lng ang TIN mo. now if noon ay may work ka pa before that at nagfillup ka uit ng form 1902 then maybe dalawa ng TIN mo and the only way to correct t is to ask sa records ng BIR. Sabihin mo na lng na it was not your intentions na dalawa TIN mo if ever dalawa nga.

      Hope this helps.

  45. January
    January 28, 2015 at 8:08 am

    Good Day Sir. I was a former employee of a semiconductor company for a 5 month contract and has my TIN applied by them. So a WTAX together with SSS, Medicare & PAG-IBIG have been deducted from my salary (every 15th and end of the month). But that was over 6 yrs ago and haven’t been an employee again since then. My question is…can I still use my TIN applied by the company? How can I change it from employee to non-employee? And I was registered then as single. How can I change my tax reg status to married? Thank you.

    • January 28, 2015 at 11:37 pm

      HI January,

      For your questions:
      1. Your TIN 6 years ago is still your TIN forever except if you die and you have an estate which needs a new TIN.
      2. Change from employee to non non-emplpoyee(self-employed/consultant/professional/sole proprietor business) then you have to file form 1905 and indicate the changes
      3. From single to married then do the same in the from 1905 and provide the necessary documents that goes with it as proof.

      I hope I have answered all your questions. Again I am not a tax expert. Should you need detailed and wider range of help with your tax liabilities and issues please seek the help of a CPA that has a wider experience in handling tax issues or a Lawyer.

  46. Catherine
    January 28, 2015 at 9:26 am

    Good morning sir,

    pwede nyo po ba ako matulungan bout my concern?
    kasi po kakaemployed ko lng po this Jan 19,2015.
    kailngan ko po ng TIN..nung pumunta po ako HR nmin, sbi nya po wala daw dtong employer-employee relationship kasi isa daw po akong NGW. kaya d cla ng fifill up ng BIR form 1902. tpos sbi skin punta na lng daw po akong BIR at ipakita ung contract of service ko. then pag punta ko pong BIR binigyan ako form 1902, then sinabi ko sa knila ung sinabi ng hR nmin.then tinanong po ako kung ilang percentage o magkanu tax winiwithheld nila, and kung sole proprietor daw ba o under E.o.
    naisip ko nmn po na non business tong pinapagtrabahuhan ko..ang problem lng po is. di ko po alam kung ilan ung winiwithhheld na tax.. ano po ba gagawin ko? sorry po..minamadali na po kasi nil TIN ko. fresh grad lng po ako

    thanks po sa tulong.sana po mabasa nyo po ito kaagad.. and hoping for your quick response.

    -kielle catherine

    • January 28, 2015 at 11:28 pm

      Hi Kielle Catherine,

      To tell you the truth Kielle di ko din alam :).

      But the best way for you to know is asks the NGO to provide the details that you need. Tanong mo kung sa bayad sayo dahil sa service mo ilan ung iwiwithhled nila? Kasi if the NGO treats you as a consultant may 10-15% withholding tax and that means you will file your TIN application as self-employed.

      Sa mga readers natin if you know what application type should Kielle Catherine tick please advice.

      I am also intrigue kasi if there is no employee - employer relationship they are correct that they don’t process your TIN application but if they require you a TIN then you are providing a service as a contractor or consultant then … hindi sya ro-bono work kasi if its pro-bono din there is no need for a TIN. SO I am inclining towards you being a consultant. If that si the case para kang magpafioe as a aself-employed taxpayer at magbabayad ka ng registration fee the 500 pesos at iban pang documentary requirements.

      Again ask the NGO how much are they deducting if wala sila masabi hingi ka ng COR or anything they filed with the BIR. Sabihin mo ipapakita mo sa BIR para madetermine kung ano klaseing TIN ang type na ititick mark mo.

      • joseph cortez
        October 6, 2015 at 6:07 pm

        Good day po pde ba akong kumuha ng tin id card sa malapit na bir ofice sa amin sa cavite kahit sa quezon city ko kinuha ang tin number ko, , need ko po ksi ng id.salamat po.

  47. Aa
    January 29, 2015 at 12:34 pm

    Hi sir, my previous employer was the one who processed may TIN. Now I’m working for other company na and I don’t know my TIN? Can I get it in BIR main or should I go to RDO they filed it pa? When I ask for it to my previous accountant (of my franchisee), she said she doesn’t have a copy of my TIN na po. I need it badly. Thanks

    • February 3, 2015 at 11:33 pm

      Better safe to the RDO of your previous employer… dapat nandun ang record mo. ANd while there magfile ka na din ng change of home RDO… ilipat mo sa RDO ng magiging employe mo using form 1905 ata.I am not sure kung pwede macheck ung TIN online but check it sa website ng BIR in case.

      Hope this helps

  48. xander
    January 29, 2015 at 9:42 pm

    Hello Sir Louis,

    Same as others we were hired as consultants in a government office project stating no employee-employer relationship. A BIR officer had a seminar with some other staff and accounting officers regarding filing of taxes which all of us will be considered as consultants with 10% tax plus percentage tax na 3% na babayaran sa bank through 2551M. Our accounting office every payroll deducts our salart with 10% tax na dinadagdag narin yung 3% para daw di na kami punta sa bank to file 2551M. Basta isama daw sa affidavit declaration of percentage tax na inaallow na namin na ikaltas narin ang 3% tax. The Bir officer also told us na affidavit will do kahit di na kami mag issue ng receipt sa accounting? Is that true? When i went to bir we still have to have our own receipt and issue it to accounting every payroll. If in case na mag issie kami receipt gross ba ang ilalagay namin dun kahit binabawasan na kami ng 10% at 3%? Thanks in advance gusto ko sana malinawan about this processes sa bir 🙂

    • February 3, 2015 at 11:31 pm

      Hi xander,

      Ang gulo nila ano lolz. Anyways I think mas maganda na magissue ka pa din ng receipt as proof. But I see some irregularities. First is required for a withholding agent(sa kaso mo is your customer/emploeployeran) ay di nagbibigay ng proof na nabawasan na kayo ng 10% withholding tax on payments to consultant. Dapat pagabot ng bayad sa inyo maykasamang for 2307. Ito ung proof na nakaltasan ang ibinayad sa iyo. About the 3% percentage tax ang alam ko ay responsibility nyong bayaran yun if it is deducted then there should be proof na naibayad na nga un which is the form 2551M.

      So sa resibo dapat kung ano talaga lng ung natanngap mo. Pwede mong idetalye naman ung mga kaltas sa resibo para klaro. Kasi pag naudit ka ng BIR ang resibo mo ang magiging basis ng income receipts mo kaya pag gross patay kang bata ka makukuwestion pag di tugma ung nasa ibang documento mo. Ang Percenatge Tax kais ay deduction on gross receipts so dapat malinaw na nakaindicate sa resibo mo kung magkano ba ung talagang natanggap mo at ung mga ikinaltas sayo. Tapos lalabas sa amount recieved sa resibo ay ung net(ung actual na nataggap mo). Detalyado kumbaga 🙂 kasi ung ang magiging basehan so kung hindi nakasulat na ung nataggap mo ay net na or hindi baka sabihin sayo na kulng pa ung ibinawas sa iyo kais nga wala sa resibo 🙂

      Medyo magulo na din explanation ko. RIght now inaaral ko ulit ang tax system sa Pinas since matagal an din akong wala sa Pinas. Ibloblog ko din ito sometime dahil madami na ding nagtatanong.

      Again I am not a tax expert. If you need further help please seek the help of a CPA or a lawyer, or a tax agent with a wide and vast knowledge of our tax system.

      • Xander
        February 4, 2015 at 11:15 am

        Thank you, Sir 🙂

  49. Venice C.
    February 4, 2015 at 6:24 pm

    Hi Sir Louis! I’m really glad I found you here. I’m in need of enlightenment regarding TIN. I hope you could help me.

    I’m a part-time employee (just started this December 2014 and still haven’t received any income as of this writing), and the company I’m working for required me to get my own TIN number. So I did. Since there’s no employee-employer relationship, I applied for TIN number in my local RDO. The BIR staff filed me under professional. The process required me to pay 500 Pesos as registration fee. So I did. However, upon receiving my Certificate of Registration, the BIR staff told me to pay additional 1500 Pesos for the Official Receipts which equals to 10 booklets and a Columnar Book. Now that bothered me. Where would I use such? The BIR staff told me to accomplish the acquisition of O.R. and Columnar Book within 30 days from registration date. But of course, I wouldn’t shell-out 1500 that easy. Baka kasi ginagatasan lang nila ako ng pera because they’re aware that I’m just a newbie.

    I’m only a part-time employee. My salary depends on how many work I accomplish. The company I work for will deduct 10% tax with every pay I get. In addition to 10% tax from income, the BIR staff told me that I have to pay myself a monthly percentage tax, which should be made every 20th day of the following month. I’m worried that what’s gonna be left of my salary will be considered measly with all these taxes.

    To cut it short sir, I have two questions:

    >Is the 1500 pesos for Official Receipts (10 booklets) and columnar book really required (and legal)?

    >Am I really subject to monthly percentage tax? If so, am I required to pay percentage tax this Feb 20 even though I haven’t received any salary yet?

    Your response will be of great help sir. Thank you in advance.

    • February 4, 2015 at 7:27 pm

      Hi Venice,

      Very interesting questions, let me answer those that I know how to.

      1. Are you subject to Percentage tax? YES it is 3% of Gross receipt so if you did not receive income payments you have nothing to pay. BUt I think as part of you being a self-employed/professional/business owner you need to file the reqiired form indicating that there was no income reciept for the month/quater(2551M/2551Q) (caveat this is as far as I know. I will research about it as well).

      2. About the columnar the OR ask if you can buy your own books and receipt. Usually Books of accounst(which is what your columnar book are for) are stamp every Jan. As for the OR. you can find a printer to print your OR you just need to apply for an ATP. Maybe that is their bundle price 🙂 1500 for the receipts and columnar book. YOu will be needing these since you need to issue receipt when you get paid and you need to record these transactions in your Books of accounts(again the columnar book). Ask around first if it would be cheaper for you to have your own receipt printed and your own columnar book and have it stamp by BIR(not sure if there is a fee though and if there is a penalty for late registration since it is already February).

      Will check out BIR website and other guidelines on this.

      It so good to know that lots of PInoys are now into self-employed and are getting aware of what should be done. I hope Kim Henares will look into cleaning up her department of kutong staff and also run free education about taxes for newbies like us 🙂

      • Venice C.
        February 4, 2015 at 9:36 pm

        Hi again sir! Thank you for your response. It sure did help a lot. 🙂 Follow-up question though.

        Would you know how many Columnar Books I’d be needing? I did some reading and discovered there are types of Book of Accounts (cash receipt journal, sales journal, purchase journal, general ledger, general journal, etc). Does it all apply to me? And should I use one columnar book for every type?

        As for the OR, the BIR staff told me it equals to 10 booklets. Is he being true? 10 booklets sounds a lot. And for shame if they’re trying to fool me. Printing my own seems more practical. Where should I get the file in order for me to print?

        And I agree with you sir. The BIR tends to make the people’s lives miserable, what with their tedious processes. And I hope they don’t take advantage (or better stop taking advantage) of people like me, like us, who are in a limbo when it comes to application procedures.

        And to everyone, just a heads up. Columnar Book from officewarehouse only costs 23.25 pesos. Time to wonder where the 1500 pesos came from, even if considered to be a bundle price (w/ OR). It doesn’t make sense.

        • February 5, 2015 at 12:00 am

          Hi Venice,

          On your first question I will answer you as an accountant. For simple bookkeeping a ledger and a journal should suffice but if you have complex transactions having the other would help. Now a days Computerized accounting software could be of great but you know BIR there are so many things to do just to get approved to use a simple computerized accounting software.

          ON your second question regards OR, in the Philippines you just can’t print an OR, it should be pre-numbered and the printer should be accredited by the BIR that is why we have the ATP(Authority to Print).

          That is why I have to check back with the BIR website on the guidelines on these stuff.

          Hope these helps.

          • Venice C.
            February 5, 2015 at 6:47 pm

            Thank you so much, sir! 🙂

  50. Rommel
    February 9, 2015 at 9:23 am

    Good Day Sir,

    Sir I have my TIN Number given from my current company, and I want to know if possible I will get my TIN ID from nearest BIR offices, or my current company has the priority to get it? My reason for this is, I am moving to a new company and they requiring me to get my ID. Thank you.

    • February 9, 2015 at 10:13 pm

      Hi Rommel I believe you can get your TIN card where your company registered you so that would be the RDO of your employer.
      Hope this helps.

  51. Kristine P.
    February 9, 2015 at 10:25 pm

    Hi sir louise,
    I would like to ask if i can get a Tin even if im just a full time and housewife. Thank u Sir!!!

    • February 10, 2015 at 7:06 am

      Hi Kristine,

      For what purpose would it be? I believe now you need a TIN when transacting with the government. If you are expecting to pay taxes other than income tax from employment or business(real property, estate tax, donor’s tax, etc., stock transaction tax, other withholding taxes on certain transactions) you will definitely need TIN. You can apply under E.O. 98 which is securing a TIN to transact with the government.

      Hope this helps.

  52. February 10, 2015 at 10:01 pm

    I applied online for a tin as a professional.. But I realized that I do not have income as a professional since I am employed and no business. Can I cancel this tin? and not pay for 500 application fee? or can i use this for future employment. thank you.

    • February 10, 2015 at 11:50 pm

      Once a TIN is assigned to you that will be your TIN. You can go tot he RDO where you registered(not sure if it showed you during your online application) and ask BIR staff that you made a mistake.

  53. Kristine P.
    February 10, 2015 at 11:20 pm

    hi sir,
    TIN is one of the requirements in getting ATM sir.. thats the only purpose why i need to get TIN. thank u again sir!

    • February 10, 2015 at 11:50 pm

      Yup in your bank deposit you will pay withholding tax on interest that is why you are still transacting with the government. EO98 applies here.

  54. Carl
    February 16, 2015 at 3:40 pm

    Hi Sir Louis,

    It’s really nice that you have this site. Very informative! I really find BIR as one of the agencies na may nakakalitong sistema. I would like to ask questions regarding my TIN para malinawan po ako kung ano pwede kong gawin.

    I acquired my TIN through E.O. 98 before having my first job. Dun sa first employer ko, same TIN yung binigay ko pero they did not ask me to update it whatsoever so akala ko ok na. Nabother ako kasi hindi ko alam kung may dapat ba akong gawin since yung mga kasama ko nagfile through From 1902 tapos magkaibang RDO kung saan ako nag-apply at yung sa employer. Ngayon nakalipat na ko sa bagong employer so I understand I should transfer my TIN to the new RDO. My question now is should I submit a new Form 1902 sa old RDO just to update it before filing Form 1905? Or no need na kahit E.O. 98 lang ay pwede pa rin maitransfer? Ano po pwede kong gawin? Hindi rin ako mabigyan ng TIN ID kasi E.O. 98 lang daw yun sabi sa original RDO.

    Thank you very much Sir! I would really appreciate your help.

    • February 16, 2015 at 11:14 pm

      Hi Carl,
      Sorry I might not have the answer to your inquiry but let me answer to the best of my abilities. DId your new employer ask for any form like form 2316 from your previous employer? Also how come your first employer did check if you are in the same RDO as theirs? If so san nila inereremit yung tax na kinakaltas sayo? Kinda bothering di ba 🙂

      But anyways since you are with a new employer they should asks you to transfer your RDO and to do that you need to fill up form 1905 for the change. You can fill up the form and go to the RDO of your new employer. The change should be from the RDO where you filed for E.O. 98 to your new employers RDO. Ask the BIR personnel if this is the right step to do because you are changing TIN type from E.O. 98 to an employee TIN. If the corrects step is to change first the TIN type(from EO98 to employee TUN) din follow their instructions. If you are truthful enough you might as well tell them that you had a previous employer but they didn’t ask you to change your TIN type. But fro simplicity just make a change form EO98 to employee to your new employer’s RDO.

      Caution though, they might find out that you have a previous employer before your new employer so I guess better come clean. Most likely you will make several tick marks in the form 1905 to effect the changes. But as Is ee in your case it is a change form EO 98 to employee TIN(this is a change of TIN type) then a change of RDO form the RDO where you filed your EO 98 to your new employer’s RDO.

      I hope this helps!

      Disclaimer: I am not a tax expert just sharing what so far I know, If you need expert advice seek a Certified Public Accountant with a wide experience and expertise in taxation or a tax layer.

      • Carl
        February 23, 2015 at 8:37 am

        Hi Sir Louis,

        Thank you for your reply. My former employer gave me form 2316 but I was really bothered why they did not asked me to change TIN type nor to transfer RDO to theirs. Ngayon ko lang naintindihan na I should change TIN type. Akala ko automatic nang mapapalitan and no need to manually transfer it. I guess I really have to go to the RDO where I filed for EO 98 to clean things up.

        I really appreciate your help. What you have shared me enlightened me about BIR’s confusing system. At least there is someone like you sir who patiently answers people’s questions regarding TIN.

        God bless!

        • February 24, 2015 at 12:22 am

          No worries Carl. Better yet try to clean up your other TIN and withholding tax issues you have from the RDO you filed application under EO98. Then transfer to your latest home RDO(the RDO of your current employer). Ask the BIR personnel and they should be helping you and making thinsg simpler and clearer since we as taxpayers pay them.

  55. etten
    February 21, 2015 at 11:47 am

    Hi Sir,

    I am employed under a third party with a minimum wage. The agency/employer provided me with Philhealth, SSS and PAG-IBIG except TIN. Now, Im applying for something and TIN is a requirement. Can I register by myself or the employer should do it for me?

    • February 21, 2015 at 6:20 pm

      Hi etten,

      Is the employer your first employer? Ask them first to make sure you don’t apply for a 2nd TIN. If so you can apply on your own either under EO 98 (to transact with the government) or as a regular employee TIN. Since your employed I think you need to apply to the same RDO as your employer. Again check it with your employer they might have applied you but just didn’t give you any info about it. Better to be sure than never

      • etten
        February 23, 2015 at 10:46 am

        Hi sir,

        Yes, it’s my first employer and I have asked them already if they have applied me but the answer was negative. They did not register me since they are not deducting tax from my salary. Which means, I have to apply on my own. Would you know which application form should I apply for? Im so confused. There are A LOT. hehe..

        Thanks for the quick revert, by the way. This sure helps. 🙂

      • etten
        February 23, 2015 at 4:57 pm

        Hi Sir,

        Yes, this is my first employer and I have already asked them if they have applied for me but the answer was negative. They’re not deducting tax from my salary so there’s no need for them to get me a TIN. Which means, I have to apply on my own. Would you be able to help me which application form # should I apply for? Im so confused.

        Thanks for the quick revert, by the way, Sir. This is really helpful.

        • February 24, 2015 at 12:19 am

          Hi etten,

          you can apply using BIR form 1902 to register as an employee. Ask the assistance of BIR personnel in the RDO of your employer if you have some question which box to tick mark and which lines to fill. You are registering under the RDO of your employer even though they don’t deduct you withholding taxes becuase at the end of the year in case you exceed the Minimum Wage Earner threshold you might they might require you to get the TIN under the same RDO as theirs.

          Hope this helps.

          • etten
            February 26, 2015 at 9:52 am

            Thank you so much again for your help, Sir Louis. 🙂

  56. justJVsmiling
    March 5, 2015 at 12:11 am

    Hi sir,

    i’m planning to open an online stock-market investing account. so far i have gathered the documents required but i paused on the TIN. so i opened the form required for applying for TIN (form 1904) and progressed so far. taxpayer type: eo98 and checked the: Capital Gains- Stocks, but when i read the attachments required it says Deed of Sale. what is this deed of sale? do i need to attach it, since i haven’t sold or bought any stocks yet, i’m at loss as to where i will get it. i’m a student btw. i’m trying to reduce hassle in case bir will not approve of my application if i don’t have this deed of sale when i go there.

    • March 5, 2015 at 10:15 pm

      Hi justJVsmiling,

      I checked BIR website to answer your question. In the site, the one that requires deed of sale is the sale of shares of stock. This means you personally sold your share of stock to another person and not through the stock market. If stocks are sold through the secondary market(that is through the stock market) we don’t pay capital gains tax but our broker deducts stock transaction tax which is as of today is 1/2 of 1% of the proceeds. A deed of sale are usually done when one sells a real property like a parcel of land, the car, condo unit, and in the case of unlisted stocks for personal properties(lawyers please correct me if I am wrong.

      Go ahead and fill out BIR form 1904 but don’t tick mark Capital gains - Stock. Just bring a valid ID as listed in the list of supporting documents.

      Hope this helps. Again I am not a tax expert and my answers are based in what is so far I know. Should you need further professional advice please seek a Certified Public Accountant with a wide experience about taxes or a tax layer.

      • renz angelo cenizal
        March 6, 2015 at 4:06 pm

        good day sir.. gusto ko lang po itanong kung papaano ako makaka pag verify through online ng tin # marunong po ba kayo?

        • March 7, 2015 at 1:52 pm

          Hi Renz,

          Gusto ko din malaman yan 🙂 pero the last time I tried kaialngan ng special access ata. Sensya na po can’t help.

  57. Kylie
    March 8, 2015 at 3:04 pm

    Hi Louis,

    By any chance do u know if there is a cancellation fee if you cancel your tin? (multiple tin issues) And if its possible to cancel the first tin issued since I’ve only used that way back in 2007 for a summer job which is part time.

    Thanks 🙂

    • March 8, 2015 at 4:40 pm

      Hi Kylie,

      I don’t think there is a fee. Use form 1905 and tick mark the section fro cancellation of TIN/Multiple TIN. I got this link form tomtax and it explains it well . IN my opinion BIR would rather use the first TIN issued to you as the correct TIN rather than the second one. If you would rather use the latest then try to explain it to the BIR personnel(since the latest TIN is where your current employer might be remitting your withholding taxes).

      Hope this helps Kylie.

      • Kylie
        March 9, 2015 at 7:43 am

        Thanks Louis!!! 🙂

  58. nikita
    March 9, 2015 at 3:42 am

    HI Sir!

    Thank you for this informative site!
    I have a question po. Meron po akong work before, that is my first job. I only stayed there for a month and a half. Sorry po but nag awol po kasi ako. I already have my tin na under their companyn,sa rdo50, sa Makati. I do have my tin card na din. I went awol due to personal reasons. Pero po ngaun, I am applying na ulit for other company. I want to declare my orev work kahit nag awol ako kase that is my first job. Tanong ko lang po kung wat bir form po ba ang ipapasubmit skn ng magiging new employer ko? aside po sa paglipat ng rdo kase I’m planning to work on Manila area lang. Do i need to submit a bir form 2316 for my new employer? Since 1 month and a half din po ako sa dti kong work? If not necessary naman yun, wat po ang kelangan kong isubmit sakanila? Hoping for your response po. Thank you

    • March 9, 2015 at 10:09 pm

      Hi Nikita,

      Since you went AWOL ka it might be hard to secure your 2316. That form is usually given upon request if you resigned or separated from your employment(termination/redundancy). You may have to inform your new employer if that so maybe they will give you form 2305(employer information and status) and form 1905(Information update like transfer of RDO). Ask your new emplpoyer’s HR. They should know which legal forms and applications you need to fill up before you work.

      Hope this helps.

      • nikita padin po
        March 24, 2015 at 2:06 am

        Thank you po ulit Sir! HIndi lang kayo cute, ang bait at talino nyo pa. GOD BLESS!
        Hmmm.. Actually Sir, Wala pa po akong work ngayon. Pero may paratng na dn akong Job Offer sa kilalang company pro d nla alam na nag awol ako noon ang alam lng nila nag resign ako.. Natanong ko lng dn po yun kasi gusto kong malaman wat docs should I prepare? Since 1 month and a half din ako sa previous company ko(nagstart ako s knla ng dec 2014 at hnd na ako pmasok ng Feb 2015) Yung susunod ko po bang employer tingin nyo sir hihingan ako ng 2316? kse Im going to have 2 employers for a year na. Or it would dpend kung yung company is may malaking offer na above minimum, dun lng ba ako hihingan ng 2316 or pag nagtagal ako sa mgiging company ko..? I just want to know sir pra mkpg prepare na hehehehe. Thank you!

        • March 25, 2015 at 11:15 pm

          Hi Nikita 🙂

          Form 2316 acts like an information certificate. So ang dapat na ibigay mo sa magiging new employer mo this 2015 ay ung last na 2316 mo(ung covering 2015) or if wala talaga then the next one which is for Dec 2014. Mostly employers will not deduct you taxes kapag Dec kasi sobrang liit pa ng earning mo to even qualify to the taxable income threshold. IN case hingan ka just tell them the truth that in your last work is AWOL ka and that you didn’t get your 2316 for 2015 covered work period(usually pag umalis ka sa company like resign or redundancy bibigyan ka ng 2316 for the covered working days to inform your next employer kung ano dapat taxable computation na gagawin ng next employer). Usually they will ask you to fill up 2305 ata at ung 1905 for teh changes na lng.

          Hope this helps

  59. Vanessa
    March 9, 2015 at 8:26 am

    Hello. I just want to ask. Can I secure a TIN even if I’m unemployed? I mean, technically I’m not for I was hired but going to start working next week. And the company required me to get a TIN. Can you pls enlighten me the process on processing TIN in my case?

    • March 9, 2015 at 9:58 pm

      Hi Vanessa,

      Is this your first job? Is this an employer-employee type or are you a contractor or a consultant?

      Usually if this is your first job under the employer-employee relationship, the employer would be the one processing your TIN application. They should give you form 1902 and ask you to fill up important details. You will be under the same RDO as your new and first employer. If they ask you personally to secure your TIN its either they are too lazy to do it or you are working for them as a contractor or a consultant. This is called self=employed type and as if you are a practicing professional or a business. To get your TIN you need to apply using form 1901. And since you are treated as a business you will have to secure other registration, books of accounts, receipts, etc.

      Hope this helps. If you fall under the consultant or a contractor you might as well seek the help of a BIR accredited CPA or to help you out or if you have further questions. Unfortunately I an not a BIR accredited CPA yet(will work on this in the future once I get to re-establish myself here in the Philippines).My advice are based on what is so far I know. I am not a tax expert.

  60. kate
    March 10, 2015 at 10:43 am

    hi im about to have my first job and one of the requirements of the company ill be working to is a tin number. now i have this tin number back in 2014 but it was in the form that stated “one-time transaction”. i dont even know that i already have a tin number because my mom bought a parcel of land under my name and they processed all the necessary documents including this BIR Form No. 2000-OT that has a tin number on it under my name. now, i want to ask if i can use this tin number in my job or should i get another one? thanks

    • March 10, 2015 at 11:40 pm

      Hi Kate,

      Yes, you will be using the same TIN but this time you have to update it from TIN under EO 98 to TIN as a purely compensation income. I believe you will have to use BIR form 1905 for the update. At the same time you should also update your home RDO to the RDO of your employer again using the same form. GO to the RDO of your new employer and inquire to the BIR personnel for the right procedure to do this. I haven’t done this yet so I am not sure if this will be done separately or it could achieve in one filing.

      Hope this helps.

  61. emma
    March 11, 2015 at 1:30 pm

    hi sir louis…this is a very informative site..i just want to ask.. i want to start investing in stock market thru citisec and they required a TIN to open an acct.. i have a TIN no from my employer before in the philippines.. after that i resigned and work as nurse here in saudi from 2002-2008.. from 2008 up to present im a full-time housewife.. i didn’t update yet my TIN frm single to married and frm employed to unemployed.. can i stil use my TIN no to open an account even if it is not yet updated? thank you so mch and Good day!

    • March 11, 2015 at 9:47 pm

      Hi Emma,

      Yes your old TIN is still the same TiN that you should be using for your application with the broker. ON their part it doesn’t matter because your transaction with the broker will lead to you paying stock transaction tax. Such tax is a final tax meaning it is deducted to whatever is the tax base and it wont be part of your income tax computation for the year.

      For now you dont need to make changes but in case you change your mind like if you decide to engage in a business then you have to update it accordingly.

      Hope this helps.

      Again I am not a tax expert. If you need further advice please seek the help of a BIR accredited CPA or a tax lawyer.

      • emma
        March 11, 2015 at 9:55 pm

        thank you sir Louis! GodBless

  62. Dominique
    March 12, 2015 at 3:10 pm

    Hello Good Afternoon,

    i have a question regarding TIN number. my friend has no TIN number and i ask her why, she informed me that she was on a minimum wage that she has no TIN number.

    so if i am in a minimum wage, i dont have a TIN number?.

    Thank you and i’ll be waiting for your quick response.

    • March 13, 2015 at 12:51 pm

      Hi Dominique,

      You need to get a TIN when you deal with the government. TIN stands for Taxpayer identification number. Minimum age earnesr are not required to secure a TIN since they wont be paying any tax…but now a days most banks and institution need a TIN when you deal with government due to several taxes. So in case your friend got promoted or have apay increase he/she might need a TIN.

      usually if you just got your first job your employer would require you to apply for a TIN. If your first job didn’t require you to apply then your wage base is minimum wage(I think it is around 10k and below per month). If you have several income sources from different employers then you must have a TIN since you will be filling your income tax on your own.

      Hope this answers your question.

    March 18, 2015 at 10:53 am

    Good Morning Sir!

    My question po ako.

    I already have my TIN NUMBER po since i worked before sa company. But, naipasa ko yung Original BIR Form 1902 ko po. Now the problem is, the company is asking for my BIR FORM 1902 which is nasa previous company ko po. Yung RDO ko po is sa Taguig City. What should i do po? Ano pong pwedeng gawin to get my TIN NUMBER? or the BIR FORM 1902?

    • March 18, 2015 at 12:38 pm

      Hi Harvey,

      Nagtataka lang ako. Form 1902 is for application so natural na kunin ng dating mong employer yon dahil un ipafile nila sa BIR to secure your TIN. Maybe ang hinihingi ng new employer is your form 2316(ito ung galing sa dati mong employer na kasama dapat ng exit clearances mo). Then Kailangan mong magupdate ng info at RDO since new employer so magfile ka sa RDO ng new employer mo ng Form 1905 for update of home RDO.

      First of all nga pala, alam mo ba TIN number mo?

      Hope this hepls 🙂

  64. nikita
    March 19, 2015 at 5:21 am

    Hello Sir.. this is Nikita again. Salamt po s pagsagot nyo s tanong ko before. hmmm..Kht po ba 1month and a half lng aq nag stay don..tingin nyo po ba irerequire paq kumuha 2316? natanong ko.lng po pra mlmn q.kng wat ba need q kuhanin s previous employr q. actually sir wla p nmn po q nahahanap na bagong

    Another question po.
    kpg ba Minimum wage earner lng ang employee like me before and had 2 employers in one year.. Hindi q nba kailangang mag file ng ITR???? wala pp kxe aqng alm s mga gnyang bagay. Pasenxa na po. Sana po masagot nyo ng malinaw ang aking ktanungan. God Bless!!

  65. nikita
    March 19, 2015 at 5:59 am

    3rd question papola Sir, Ang minimum wage earner ba is 15k below earners?? meaning kung 12k lng ang offer ng company ko date skn.. does it means i belong to minimum wage earners? tama po ba pagkakaitndi ko or it depends sa tax. pwede po bng iexplain nio skn.. Salamat po in advance!

    • March 19, 2015 at 8:52 pm

      Hi nikita,

      Una is baka limited ung maisagot ko sa iyo kaya I just want to make clear that I am not a tax expert and still working on to be a BIR accredited CPA.

      Un regards sa tanong mo na minimum wage earner sa aking pagkakaalam ay ung mga sumasahod ng below and within the minimum wage rate ng lugar na pinagtratranahuan. Lately sa balita itinaas ung M=minimum wage effective April 2015. 481 na ata sa non-agri at 444 na ata sa agri sector dito sa NCR ang daily rate. So kung sa isang buwan ang rough calculation if 22days that would be below 10.5K. Base also in my experience ung mga below 12k ay considered as minimum wage earner thus already exempted from income tax.

      • nikita
        March 24, 2015 at 1:58 am

        Hi Sir, Thank you po for the fast reply. Uhm Im just confuse po kase if wats really the basis of minimum wage, kung hourly ba or monthy or annually ang basis nila kung saan don malalaman if u need to file ITR, What do you think sir?

        • March 25, 2015 at 11:08 pm

          Hi nikita

          To tell you the truth, I am not sure as well but in practice in my previous jobs here sa Pinas its on a monthly basis. Once lumagpas dun sa threshold ay mawiwithheldan na ung earnings once na lumagpas na. SO on that basis your annula income tax should also be adjusted on that basis meaning ung annual income tax mo is computed taking into consideration ung time na hindi ka na minimum wag earner…. parang pro-rated nag labas 🙂

          Hope this helps.

          Again, I am not a tax expert and above is just my opinion. Should you need help on tax matters, please consult a BIR accredited CPA or a tax laywer

  66. Maxx
    March 20, 2015 at 12:17 am

    Hi Sir, I recently got my tin number with BIR under E.O 98. I opened an account with COL Financial and got their approval. My question is, can I start buying stocks even if my tin is only E.O 98? I just don’t want to have any trouble in case I start buying through COL as I am only a student. And second question, I asked if they give the paper type ID for applicants under E.O 98 but told me that they only issue the tin number and no ID. Is this true? I wanted to have it for additional ID purposes.

    Thank you in advance, Sir!

    • March 21, 2015 at 12:18 am

      Hi Maxx! Congrats for starting early.

      Since you are not employed yet using a TIN under EO98 is ok. Remember that you need a TIN if transacting with the government specially one with tax matters. When you trade stocks you pay stock transaction tax, so you need a TIN and this transaction can be actually considered one time transaction because you don’t know when will be the next time you will have transaction again.

      As for the TIN card I guess that is the BIR policy so we really cant do anything about it. 🙂

      Hope this helps.

  67. Acel
    March 23, 2015 at 9:39 pm

    Hi sir. Tanong lang po. Meron na kasi tin no. So sabe ng hr saken balik daw ako sa previous employer ko para kumuha ng 1902 form ( sa previous employer Kc ako kumuha ng tin no.)

    Then tumawag ako sa bir nag inquire ako about dun sa 1902 form. Ang sabe saken hnd daw ako pwde kumuha ng 1902 form Kc kelangan 1 tin per person daw. Help nman po? Tnx

    • March 24, 2015 at 12:44 am

      Hi Acel,

      Tanong lang ano reason ng HR bakit mo kailangan kunin ung 1902 sa previous employer? Usually pinafile un ng unang employer pag wala ka aong TIN sa BIR. Baka aman 2316 and hinihingi. Kindly ask your HR para magnig maliwanag kais tama ung sagot ng BIR, form 1902 is for the TIN application kung update and chanes naman dapat 1905.

      Better ask tem why do they need the 1902 from the previous employer… my suspect is that its form 2316,

      Hope this helps

  68. Acel
    March 24, 2015 at 1:10 pm

    Sir paano po kpaag hnd ako Binigyan ng 2316 sa previous employer ko? Feeling ko po Kc nabigay na yun saken dati kasama yung back pay ko. Pwede po kaya ako mang hinge ng 2316 sa BIR? Ano po kaya ang Gagawin ko? Maraming salamat po sa reply nio sir malaking tulong po sa Amin to.

    • March 25, 2015 at 11:25 pm

      Hi Acel,

      Kung ganun mas maige na bumalik ka sa compnay mo at magrequest ng copy. Sa BIR kasi purpose nun ay filling lng. Di ko sure kung nakatago pa un. Dapat ibigay un ng company requirement un…. kung nawala mo eh di ikaw may sala 🙂 so dapat makiusap ka sa dating company for a copy… which they should comply naman dapat.

      Hope this helps Acel

  69. gin
    April 3, 2015 at 2:52 pm

    Good day sir! Tanong q lang po kung ano mangya2ri kapag ndi q nabayaran ung 500 sa bangko dun sa kinuha qng tin number for self employed nung last 2011? Naregister po b un kahit hindi q nbayaran? Tnx in advance po.

    • April 4, 2015 at 1:52 pm

      Ho gin,

      Good question, at di ko di alam king ano mangyayari kung magkaganun nga… ang lo tech kais ng BIR kaya wala man lng nagremind sayo noh. Magreserach ako kung naregister pa rin ba un kahit di mo pa nababayaran.

      Reply ako dito pag nahanap ko answer 🙂

    • April 19, 2016 at 1:56 pm

      hi sir gin anu alam nyo na po ba ung tinatanong nyo sir? kasi i have the same problem

    • Phil
      April 20, 2016 at 3:26 pm

      Hi All,

      Ganyan din nangyari sakin. Actually, kumuha ako online ng Self Employed and then bigla ako nakuha sa inaapplyan kong work so kelangan magpa change ng status and RDO.
      Di ko pa nababayaran yung 500 na kelangan.
      Pero nagagamit ko na yung TIN ko. As per the BIR people, ok nmn ang TIN number ko. Hindi rin nila nalaman na hindi pa ako nagbabayad ng 500, hindi ako nirequire na magbayad nung time na nagpa change RDO and Self Employed to Employed. Nagamit na rin ng wife ko yung TIN ko nung nag siya nag claim ng benefits kahit di pa ko nagbabayad ng 500.

      Still waiting kung anuman ang sasabihin nila regarding sa di ko nagawang pagbabayad ng 500. Update ko agad kung meron man.
      Kung wala nmn mangyari. eh di ayos!. hehe

      • April 25, 2016 at 10:05 pm

        Thanks Phil for sharing. Sensya na late ko na-approve nasa probinsya kasi ako. Wala mabilis na internet connection 🙂

  70. April 4, 2015 at 2:04 am

    hi sir! tanung ko lang po f pwede p ko kumuha ng new tin number and icancel nlng ung nauna.. teacher applicant kc ako.. nagkamali ako ng pagfill up sa personal data sheet ko.. so i need to sign another one kaso po di ko n mgamit ung tin ko n un.. hindi ko alm gagawin.. baka pwede n ipacancel ung una then kuha ako ng panibago.. sana mtulungan niu po ako.. thank you

    • April 4, 2015 at 2:15 pm

      Hi Rose Ann,

      Yup pwede macancel. Use form 1905 ata :). Just go to the RDO where you filed your TIN application before at explain mo ung problem mo.

      Hope this helps 🙂

  71. April 9, 2015 at 1:53 am

    Hi Sir,
    hinahanapan kasi ako ng tin ng company ko(2nd work), i already worked as project based(1st work ko) pero di ako hiningian ng tin. so anung possible na gawin sir? enlighten me naman sir Thanks!

    • April 9, 2015 at 7:09 am

      Hi paparapapap!

      Kahit na project based ka dapat hiningian ka dapat ng TIN. Kung wala kang pinillupan na form 1902 noon we can assume wala ka pang TIN so tell that to your 2nd employer para form 1902 na lng ang ifillup mo. Pero dapat balikan mo ung dati mong employer at ask mo nga kung san nila nireremit/kung under saang TIN nakaremit ung mga kinaltas sayo noon(kung nakaltasan ka ng withholding tax). Kung wala pwede ka mag-inquire sa BIR to clear kung may TIN ka na ba o wala. May number na pwedeng tawagan di ko nga lng memorize. You need your former employer, address, at full name para mahanap nila sa database nila kung naisuhan ka na nga ng TIN.

      Hope this helps paparapapap 🙂

  72. April 12, 2015 at 9:09 am

    halimbawa lang ah, eh nagkadoble ang tin ng isang tao, pano mapapa cancel yung isa? kasi alam ko may penalty pag doble tin di ba? salamat

    • April 12, 2015 at 9:17 pm

      Hi paparapapap,

      May form for cancelation(BIR form 1905). Better check BIR website ( know all the forms for all the application and other issues that you may encounter.

      Kung nagkadoble man patunayan mo na hindi mo kasalanan at hindi sya intentional gaya nung sa kaso ni Zoren Legaspi. For example nagtrabaho ka sa unang employer at alam mo di ka nagfuill-up ng 1902(TIN Application) sa second employer hiningian ka pero sabi mo wla kasi di ka din binigyan ng 2316 ng former employer so ang naging option nyo ng HR ay magapply ka ulit na nag-go-through naman so clearly hindi mo intention na magkaron ng dalawang TIN.

      Hope this answers your question paparapapap 🙂

  73. Blanche
    April 30, 2015 at 12:02 am

    Hi Sir

    Gusto ko po sana magstart mag invest through buying stocks but they required to have TIN Number upon opening financial account. Since I never work due to my health issues, Am I valid to get TIN? Please help me!


    • May 3, 2015 at 12:27 am

      Hi Blance,

      Sensya na late reply to our inquiry. Yes pwede ka kumaha ng TIN under E.O. 98 this covers those transacting with government(in your case investing in stocks gives rise to you paying taxes).

      Hope this helps Blance

  74. tintin
    April 30, 2015 at 5:26 pm

    HI sir .. Im Tintin.. Just want to ask kasi meron na kong employer na bago which is located sa makati ave. 2nd job ko po cla, nag tataka lang ako kasi hnd nila pinalipat yung tin ko. dati ksi ung tin ko located po sa rdo 50 and rdo nila is 49 .. tas tnanong ko ung hr na nag assist skn sabi nia sila na daw bahala dun sla na daw mag aasikaso n0n? gan0n po ba talaga sir. hnd ba dapat employee ang naglilipat ng tin sa tamang rdo.. just worried ksi baka hnd maging maaus ung pag withheld nla sa taxes ko.. thanks will wait for your reply

    • May 3, 2015 at 12:34 am

      Hi tintin,

      Maganda un kung sila na nga magasikaso 🙂 but who knows di ba. In my case I worked sa Pinas before under a Large Taxpayer corporations . I was originally in Eastwood at nasa QC ata ung RDO namin. Then nagwork ako sa isang multinational in Mandaluyong which eventually move to Taguig until nagwork ako sa ibang bansa for 6 years. Now that I am back here and working in Makati saka ko lng nalaman na di pa nalilipat ung Home RDO ko. So I have to do it para maayos ung sa tax ko in my current employer here in Makati.

      Wala naman naging problem but yes it is better to correct it now, kung di ka mapalagay ask mo respectfully sa HR nyo na kailangan mo ung copy ng 1905 as proof of your RDO transfer sa isang inaaplyan mong credit card or bank 🙂 or insurance 🙂

      Hope this helps tintin

      • Blanche
        May 4, 2015 at 10:23 pm

        Thank you for your response! 🙂

  75. karen Ayochok
    May 5, 2015 at 8:38 pm

    hi sir. im unemplyed and applying for a job. requirement po when applying are TIN etc …. may bayad po ba pag kukuha ng TIN ?

    • May 5, 2015 at 9:50 pm

      Hi Karen,

      Walang bayad pagkuha ng TIN. It is a practice na ung first employer mo ang magproprocess ng iyong TIN if you have an employee - employer relationship. If you have a different type of relationship like a contractor or agent then ibang usapan un. You will get your own TIN not as an employee, but more of a self-employed/business owner TIN type. May bayad kung ganun because as if you are registering like a business. Annual registration fee for that is 500 pesos(not sure kung tumaas na.

      I hope i am bale to clarify and answer your question Karen

  76. Ian
    May 8, 2015 at 10:53 am

    Good day Sir!
    Nag-apply ako thru online kaso hindi ko kinumpleto kasi hindi ko pa alam yung mga ilalagay na details. Hindi ko sinend sa kanila pabalik. Hinayaan ko lang since yung sa management ng office ko sila na nag-insist na sila na maglalakad so binigyan nila ako ng form to complete. Tanong ko lang, yung nag-apply po ba ako sa online, may TIN number na yun or wala pa? Natatakot ako kasi baka maging dalawa yung TIN ko and it’s against the law. Thank you.

    P.S. Hindi ko tinuloy yung pagpasa ko ng detailed infos sa BIR.

    • May 10, 2015 at 8:40 pm

      HI Ian,

      May confirmation ba na bumalik or naemail sayo from your online TIN application? Kung wala I believe wala nga. Pag nakuha mo na ung TIN mo from your employer try to check one time sa RDO or ang alam ko may hotline ang BIR na pwede tawagan. Explain what happen, Im sure maiintindihan naman nila un. It wasn’t your fault and at least you tried to correct it.

      Hope this helps Ian!

  77. kaye
    May 12, 2015 at 8:43 am

    hello sir, mag open ako ng bank account and I need tin pala,im unemployed and never been employed my whole life, can I get a tin under eo98? please reply po..

  78. kaye
    May 13, 2015 at 3:15 pm

    salamat sa reply sir,so I’ll tell the bir officer its for opening a bank account?.. maraming salamat talaga, I’m very happy I find this site..

  79. kaye
    May 14, 2015 at 7:11 am

    sir can I go to any bir office to get my tin? I’m from cebu city,may south and north bir kasi,kahit saan po ba pwd?

    • May 14, 2015 at 7:14 am

      hi kaye,

      Since hindi naman sya for employment or for business, sa RDO kung saang sakop ng tinitrihan mo. Tawagan mo muna sila at sabihin mo address mo.

      hope this helps

  80. farmir
    May 15, 2015 at 2:32 pm

    hello..ask lang po ako kung ano ang dapat gawin ko kasi na registered po ako as mixed income earner tapos gusto ko ma change as a regular local employee..thank you…

    • May 17, 2015 at 11:01 pm

      Hi farmir,

      Magfile ka ng change of tax type from mixed income to employee only. I think form 1905 gagamitin mo for this.

      Hope this helps.

  81. cherry santos
    May 19, 2015 at 9:34 am

    Hi! I want to invest in the stock market but i dont have a TIN. I already have the Form 1904 but i’m confused as which boxes to check in item number 20. I need your help! Thanks

    • May 19, 2015 at 12:19 pm

      Hi Cherry,

      Not sure if stock transaction tax imposed on sale of stocks through the stock exchange is a final withholding tax or other tax classification. Better go to the RDO where you are supposed to apply and inquire at the BIR personnel. But if you are to ask me I would suggest fill up the last box for others and specify Stock Transaction tax.

      Hope this helps.

      • cherry santos
        May 19, 2015 at 3:34 pm

        thanks sir. I want to invest as soon as possible.

  82. Noreen Alazada
    June 11, 2015 at 11:37 am

    Hello Sir.I am applying as a Research Assistant sa isang government office. Ngayon, NGW ang classification niya so I was tasked to apply for a TIN myself kaso sabi sa BIR eh kailangan ng kontrata. Sabi naman sa office namin ay kaylangan ng TIN number before iprocess ang kontrata. Anong gagawin ko po dun? Your help is very much appreciated.

    • June 11, 2015 at 10:03 pm

      Hi Noreen,

      Pagpasensyahan muna ng ating mga goerment units. Minsan ang hirap kasi nagtuturuan. If they wont process your TIN and your contract try mag-apply online. I know I posted a link how to apply online. Pacheck na lnag po un. Yan ang the best way na makakuha ka ng TIN. If hindi tanggaping ng employer mo yung galing online iprint mo ung respond ng online tapos dalhin mo sa BIR. Dapat irecognize nila un kais galing sa system nila.

      I hope this helps.

      • July 1, 2015 at 5:03 pm

        Hello Sir! Maraming salamat sa sagot niyo po. Luckily naayos ko na yang issue na yan, nagkaroon po kasi ng seminar ang BIR sa office namin so hindi pala dapat nirerequire ng maghihire ang TIN lalo na at wala pang TIN ang employee. Sabi po nila, requirement nila ang contract so dapat hindi ganun sa office namin 😛 anyways, kailangan ko naman po ng tulong sa pag-sagot ng Form 1901, madami po kasing confusing terms. Isa pa po is anog tax type ba ang para sa contract of services? Income tax po ba or withholding tax? Salamat Sir!

        • July 1, 2015 at 11:48 pm

          Hi Noreen,

          Depende yan kung ano ba ung actually na relationship mo nung pinagtratrabahuan mo. Definitely maglagay ka ng “X” sa Income tax. Ask mo ung HR kung kaaltasan ka ba ng tax at kung ano type ng withholding tax un kasi un din ang lalagyan mo ng ‘X”.

          Hope this helps Noreen!

  83. lydia
    June 14, 2015 at 12:59 pm

    helo po sir,
    dh po ako dto abroad sir at plan ko po
    mag open ng savings accnt.kaso nga lng po nid po nila ang TIN #.paano po ba un?
    thank you po….

    • June 14, 2015 at 11:07 pm

      HI Lydia,

      Since nasa abroad kayo pwede po kayo magapply online kung wala pa po kayong TIN. Pero kapag nakapagtrabaho na po kayo dati sa PIans bago po mag-abroad malamang mayron na kayong TIN(kung kayo po ay nakapag-employo). Ang alam ko po may nagtanong na nito at may luink po akong ibinahagi na nagbibigay ng step by step kung papano gawi ito.

      Hope this helps po!

  84. Miguel Luis Lagera
    June 14, 2015 at 4:31 pm


    Just a quick question. Is there any way to verify you TIN online. I have my TIN with me but I just want to make sure it’s mine.

    Thanks 🙂

    • June 14, 2015 at 11:01 pm

      Hi Miguel,

      I am not sure if there is an available way to verify TIN online. If you go to the BIR website there is a eVerify servcies but this is only available I guess to businesses who need to get exact TIN numbers for their suppliers for their various filing needs.

      Other way is through phone. Just look for your RDO’s phone number to verify your TIN or the trunkline of the headoffice(not sure if it is still this number though) 929-7676 or 927-2511.

      I hope this helps.

  85. June 15, 2015 at 1:24 pm

    hello poh. nagplano po ako kumuha ng tin kasi nag apply po ako kumuha ng atm card pero hinahanapn ako ng tin number. wala pa po ako trabaho pero kakapasa ko lang po sa pagkateacher at mag apply sa sunod na year. makakakuha po ba ako ng tin number? kailangan ko po kasi.

    • June 18, 2015 at 11:37 pm

      Hi Jessa,

      Yes pwede kang kumuha ng TIN under EO98 meaning hindi ka employed pero magtratransact ka with the government for paying taxes. Sa ATM kasi my interest so may tax on interest kng babayarn kaya kailangan mo ng TIN. Punta ka sa RDO kung san ka nakatira sabihin mo sa mga tao na hinanapan ka ng TIN nung kumukuha ka ng bank account pero wala ka pa work at surely EO98 ang ipapacheck sayo sa form na pifillipan mo.

      Hope this this Jessa!

  86. candy
    June 24, 2015 at 4:56 pm

    Hello po,

    I find your blog very informative. And so nice kasi po you answer to the people’s queries.
    Anyway po, I would like to apply for a BIR TIN. I am still a student but I am a regular online worker. I was a part timer before pero ngayun po is regular napo akong online worker and
    I am receiving wage every month. I am still 17 years old and will turn 18 this Oct.
    Gusto ko po sana mag apply for a regular TIN and hindi po iyung TIN under EO98?
    yata yun I guess…
    I hope you can advise po. Thanks!

    • June 25, 2015 at 12:13 am

      hi candy,

      Wow it is good that you have an online job. Well since it is now a permanent job you will have to apply as a self-employed/contractor. The thing with this is para ka ng isang business owner that is you will now renew yearly sa BIR and required ka na magfile ng mga monthly and quarterly filling sa BIR depended sa kung ano man arrangement mo sa mga online clents or kung through a local company. I know I might have answered na ito somewhare but when you go to BIR make sure to have the necessary docs to prove that you are an online contractor baka kung ano ano hanapn ng BIR sayo.

      I hope this helps and congrats for being an online worker!

      • candy
        June 25, 2015 at 12:32 am

        hmmm.. napaka complicated naman..
        if possible sana is ayaw ko makipagtransact with government
        personnel. So I was trying to settle things online. Ereg.. and all.
        I find them (government personnel) very grumpy and cold.
        Maybe I’ll just enjoy nalang being an underage muna. Because I really don’t
        like the stares they give me when I say “employed” na ako.
        And I know its very unusual someone at my age to be employed;
        from scratch to being employed. I am still in college panaman din po.
        Maybe I’ll go with the EO98 nalang muna…

        Thanks for the reply though.
        And yeah, hahah thanks. I actually didn’t see myself working right now.


        • June 27, 2015 at 9:21 am

          Hi Candy,

          Yup life is complicated 🙂 but eventually if your income from online is big you might need to actually have a self-employed type of TIN so that you can have proof of income through your BIR fillings na monthly. quarterly at ang iyong ITR. You will need these in the future to apply for several things na now a days like bank account, stock brokerage account, and others. If unsure ask a succesful self-employed you know who files there tax. A lot of people who are self-employed avoid filling and paying their tax and most of the time laging kaaway ang BIR 🙂 so make your life easier if you can take care of this small stuff while it is still manageble 🙂

          • candy
            June 27, 2015 at 11:49 am

            Exactly. And I know I will definitely need it in the future. I will heed that advice of yours 🙂
            Thank you for helping me out!

            - Candy

  87. Jolly
    July 22, 2015 at 5:51 pm

    Hi sir, sana po matulungan nyo ako.. Sa unang employer ko po, pinagapply po kami for TIN.. Then nung binigay na po yung card, wrong spelling po yung surname ko so binalik ko po.. Then until materminate ako sa work, di ko na po nakuha yung card ko na dapat corrected na.. Then nung sa second employer ko, hinanapan nila ako ng TIN then kinuwento ko po yung nangyari.. Sabi nila they will check kung may existing then sinabi nila wala daw then pinagapply nila ako ulit.. May kapatid din po pala akong katrabaho dun sa second employer.. So ang dilemma ko po is nung sinubukan ko kunin yung TIN card ko, binigay po nilang # yung sa first employer ko which means may existing TIN na po ako.. At nakakapagtaka po, yung # na ginawa nila supposedly for me, nakapangalan sa kapatid ko.. Now, baka po nadoble yung TIN nya kasi meron na rin po syang TIN.. Di ko na po alam gagawin.. Please help me..

    • July 23, 2015 at 7:20 am

      Hi Jolly,

      The best na gawin nyo since nasa parehong company na kayo ng kapatid nyo is puntahan nyo ung HR at ipointout nyo ung mali. After that punta kayo BIR sa RDO nyo para icorrect nyo ung mali. Explain nyo ung nangyari which I know dapat maintindihan nila. Kung mali pa rin ipacorrect nyo sa BIR para macorrect na sya talaga.

      I hope this helps Jolly!

  88. Jolly
    July 23, 2015 at 5:57 pm

    I forgot to mention sir na our company was no more, nung feb pa po naclose.. Ngayon po na nakahanap na kami ng work, tska ko lang po nalaman yung problema.. Eto pa po yung ginawa ng hr namin dati.. Name po ng sis ko yung nakaregister pero birthday ko po yung nilagay.. Nalito po ata sir.. Imbes na name ko nailagay, yung sa sis ko..

  89. Jolly
    July 23, 2015 at 6:01 pm

    Thank you po pala for answering my question.. Litong lito na kasi kami ng sis ko.. And since nakapangalan sa kanya pero bday ko po yung nakaregister, ok lang po ba na icancel na lang namin yung tin?

  90. Lady
    July 27, 2015 at 3:14 am

    Hi sr… Sana po mabigyan nyo po ako ng advise 🙂

    1.Nagtrabaho po ako ng sept to dec 2014 sa ospital pero 2307 lng bnigay nila since contractual daw wlang employer employee rel, and i badly need 1700 para po sa embassy kaso dahil 2307 ang bnigay ng ospital, 1701 lng daw po makukuha ko. Ngaun sabi po nila para makuha ko ung 1701 ko from sept to dec kailangan ko daw po muna mgpalit ng tin status from eo 98 to professional. Ganun po ba tlga yun? Di po ba pwedeng kumuha ng 1701 pag di professional ang status ng tin?

    2. Next po, sa rdo40 (delta) po ako nakuhanan ng tin pero ng pachange po to rdo 31 sa intramuros nitong buwan since ung sumunod po na employer ko doon ang rd. Nag end contract npo ako sa kanila nitong june at gs2 ko na po bumalik sa dating kong rdo at doon nlang mgfile ng 1701 at change of tin status. Pwede po ba na kahit di pko ngpachange pabalik ng rdo from intramuros to delta, dun npo ako sa delta mgfile ng 1700 at change status tutal nman po doon tlga ko naissuehan ng tin? Or kung saan ka po currently nka rdo dun mo gagawin lhat ng transactions like kukuha ng 1700 kahit year 2014 po ung kukuhanan ko, and change po ng tin status??

    Thank you sir!! 🙂

    • July 28, 2015 at 12:08 am

      Hi Lady,
      Medyo mahihirapan ka sa situation mo. Again I am not an expert but let me try my best po okay.

      No.1 Since contractual at form 2307 binigay sayo, walang employer-employee relationship kaya dapat ikaw ang nagfile ng 1701 mo nung April 15, 2015. Mag-Aaugust na kaya malamang may surcharges and penalty ka na. At since you are treated as a professional providing service sa hospital and not as an employee dapat ang type ng TIN mo ay para sa self-employed or professional.

      No.2 Ang tanong is ung employer mo nung Jan to present ano ba relationship mo? employer -employee or professional ka din ba?If you are also treated as professional I suggest na change your TIN type sa original RDO mo which is RDO 40 unless ung second employer mo ay ginawa kang employer-employee at nagfile ka ng form 1905 sa RDO40 to change to RDO31. If ang kaso ay professional/self-employed, ka no need to change RDO since professional ka ikaw ang may decision kung san ang RDO mo which is mostly your place of business or residence. Pag employer-employee naman ung sa second job syempre dapat kang mailipat sa RDO ng employer at since gusto mo lumipat you need to file again to RDO40 from RDO31. Kung ang employment mo from Jan to present ay binagao na ung TIN type mo from EO98 to employee at sila lng ang naging employer mo… ask mo kung isasama ka as substituted filling. Kung ganun di mo na kailanagng magfile ng 1700 since automatic na ung filing nila ay as if filing ng ITR. But if the embassy specifically asks na ITR then you need to file at gawing mong backup ung 2316 kung ito nga ung ibibigya ng employer mo sa employment mo from Jan to present.

      I hope this helps Lady! Goodluck!

      Disclaimer: I am not a BIR accredited CPA, for your tax concerns that needs wider explanation please seek the help of an accredited CPA or a tax lawyer.

      • Lady
        July 28, 2015 at 6:02 am

        Hello sir thank you po sa input 🙂

        Nag end of contract na po ako nitong june sa ospital na “self employed” ang status ko.. Bali po nitong july permanent nko as company nurse, ang kaso po dahil hinahabol ko makuha ung 1701 pra sa sept to dec 2014 (need po kasi dahil dineclare ko sa work xp ko) kailangan ko daw po muna magpapa palit from eo to professional pra makuha ung 1701 ko and then dahil permanent nko sa present employer ko, icut ko daw ung pagiging prof and balik daw ako sa employee status.. Ganun po ba yun?? Ang nagpahirap pa po sakin ay nsa rdo 31 ako ngaun nalipat dahil ung employer ko april to june doon ako pinalipat noon.. Tapos ung bago kong employer ngaun nsa cainta nman po.. Di ko na po alam saan ko kukunin at aasikasuhin ung 1700 nung 2014 kasi pinaiba iba nko ng rdo 😭😭

        • July 28, 2015 at 7:32 am

          Hi Lady,

          Unfortunately tama sila :).

          Now ganito as I see your situation. Una change your status from EO98 to professional sa RDo40 first then file ung 1701 mo para sa Sept-Dec 2014 work mo. Then kung pwede ask mo s RDO40 kung pwede mo isabay ung filing ng 1701 at change from professional to employee at the same time ung change of RDO to RDO31 kasi nga dun ung RDO ng permanent work mo kung saan employee na ang status mo. Ten after nyan saka mo ilipat ung RDO mo from RDO31 sa RDO sa Cainta.

          I hope this helps.

          • Lady
            July 28, 2015 at 7:49 am

            Thank you Sr!! Super helpful po.. On the way nko ngaun sa rdo 40, thanks again God bless!! 🙂

  91. Julia
    August 6, 2015 at 2:56 pm

    hi, first time ko lang po kukuha ng TIN number. unfortunately, system daw po ung bir near the company sabi ng company n pinagtatrabahuhan ko. Nagwoworry lng ako since bka wla n ako sahurin dahil s tax and I have no idea kung magknu ung ibbwas n tax s basic pay ko which is 14k. single without dependents. Matatagalan daw cguro bago bumalik ung system kay bka wala n ako sahurin. pls help me nmn. thank u.

    • August 7, 2015 at 12:48 am

      Hi Julia,

      Sensya na I am a bit confuse sa tanong mo. 🙂 I hope I understand it right.

      1. Ano ung system na binanggit mo? Di ka ba makakuha ng TIN dahils a system sa BIR?
      2. If itong work mo ngaun ay unnag job mo at sila lng ang employer mo dapat sila nag magprocess ng TIN application mo. They should give you the docs and usually sila magpapasa sa BIR sa RDO kung ssan sila
      3. Kung wala kang TIN pa at wala ka pang classification(single , married etc) maclaclasiffy ka as type Zat ung 25% and ibabawa sayo… so better get your TIN para mataxan ka as Single without dependent na mas mababa dapat ang tax deduction base sa taxable income mo na ang range ay from 5% to 32% ata
      4. Bakit wala ka sasahurin? di ba ang possible highest tax na pwede ikaltas sayo is 25% sa taxable income mo, may iba pa abag deudction sayo?

      I hope this helps Julia, sorry kung sinagot ko ng tanong ung ibang mga tanong mo 🙂

  92. trisha
    August 11, 2015 at 2:36 am

    Hi unemployed po ako at mag aapply sana ng TIN kasi po mag start ako sa stock market nirerequire po sya ng COL financial (TIN).. pwede ho ba ako kumuha ng TIN number for the purpose of opening an account in COL finamcial to start in stock market.

    Kapag nakakuha po ba ako ng TIN as an unemployed ano pong category pipiliin ko? same pa din po ba TIN ko kapag na employ na ko in the future? ano po yung mga need kong gawin ? dapat ko po bang i inform yung BIR na employed na ko? thank you!

  93. tricia
    August 11, 2015 at 5:37 pm

    I am unemployed and I want to get TIN number for my COL financial application because I’m going to start in Philippine Stock Market. Can I get TIN number even if I”m unemployed? What if I get employed in the future? do I have to change my TIN number or it will be still the same? Do I need to update the BIR regarding this? What should I do? and last question, what will I say to BIR to get TIN number even if I’m unemployed? THANKS!

    • August 11, 2015 at 9:48 pm

      Hi tricia,

      If your still unemployed you can apply under EO98. Tell the BIR that you need TIN to open a stockbrokerage account and you are still not employed.

      In the future if you get employed, you need to update your TIN. Your employer should inform you about it and help you out in changing your TIN type from EO98 to employee type.I think to update your TIN you need form 1905.

      Hope this helps tricia

      • tricia
        August 12, 2015 at 4:03 pm

        noted! thank you for your quick response Mr. Delos Angeles.

  94. Charm
    August 13, 2015 at 11:48 pm

    Hi. Good day! I’m an OFW and wants to get my TIN number for COL financial application. I’ve been trying to apply through BIR eReg, however, on the Part V they are asking for “Current Main Employer Information”. I cannot proceed because “Taxpayer Identification Number” and “Branch Code” is required to be filled up which obviously i don’t have because my employer is here abroad. What to put there? How can I proceed with my registration? Can you please help me with this. Thanks in advance! 🙂

    • August 21, 2015 at 11:10 am

      Hi Charm,

      Apologies for the late reply. I am looking for a comment where a link with the step by step procedure for BIR ereg is showed. I am not quite familiar with the Ereg itself. Once I find that i will look into it and see if you can skip that portion altogether.

      Hope this helps Charm.

  95. Adrian
    August 14, 2015 at 8:45 am

    Hi! I’m a college student po trying to open an account with COL Financial. I tried acquiring my TIN online at

    Did I answer the preliminary questions right? (I answered yes to the 2nd and 4th question)

    Also, which do I choose under PSIC and PSOC?

    I am still a student who plans to invest my saved allowance.

    • August 21, 2015 at 11:08 am

      Hi Adrian,

      Sorry for the late reply… I am not sure if the Ereg registers you as under EO98. I will have to check the online registration for this. If in doubt better go to the RDo where you live and ask where you can register and get a TIN under EO98.


      • Adrian
        August 22, 2015 at 1:53 pm

        Hi Louis, they already emailed me my TIN immediately after eReg completion.

        This is a copy of the email:

        Dear XXXX,

        This a confirmation of your TIN application.

        Your TIN is XXXXXXXXX-0000 and you are registered at RDO 056. Please proceed to your RDO to secure your TIN card and Certificate of Registration.

        You may now proceed with payment of the P500 Registration Fee through any of the following options:

        * Over-the-counter at any Authorized Agent Bank under your RDO
        * Over the web through Electronic Filing and Payment System (eFPS)
        * Through text using G-Cash

        1. Can I already use this TIN? or do I have to follow-up to the RDO to register under EO98?
        2. Do I have to pay the P500 Registration fee or can I just ignore it? If so, are there consequences/penalty if I don’t pay the fee and use the TIN for COL Financial?

        • August 23, 2015 at 12:18 am

          Hi Adrian,

          The email they sent you now confirms that you are registered as a self-employed taxpayer. Better go to the RDO and change it to EO98 that way you dint have to pay the fee. Better correct it now than be sorry later. You will have the same number so you can go ahead and provide that number to COL but again please go to the RDO to correct your TIN type to be under EO98.

          Hope this helps Adrian

  96. Gerwyn
    August 14, 2015 at 1:59 pm

    Hi sir,

    I am currently working on a research work as an administrative assistant with a contract until December of 2015. We are required by a certain government research institution to get our TIN, but there is no employee-employer relationship. What should I do in order to get a TIN?

    • August 21, 2015 at 11:06 am

      Hi Gerwyn,

      You should coordinate with your Finance department, they should be able to assist you on this. If you already have an employee TIN, all you have to do is to convert it from employee to self-employed TIN type. You will need to use I believe form 1905 if I am not mistaken(that is the form to make changes in your TIN registration). Changing from employee to a self-employed turns you into somewhat a business type thus you need to pay the registration fee and attend the seminars and other requirements of the BIR. Also you need to register to the RDO where you conduct your business(it could be the same RDo of the government office or not that is why it is better to coordinate with the Finance department of your client/government office to better assist you on this)

      I hope this helps Gerwyn

  97. Lani
    August 28, 2015 at 1:07 am

    Hello Sir, I would like to have contributions as a voluntary member to SSS, but they need TIN number, I am unemployed, and I did some research also that if you want to apply for a passport, they need TIN number as well, as to other government transactions. I was wondering which form should I fill up? Getting SSS ID and passport are my purposes. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

  98. Papi
    August 31, 2015 at 4:23 pm


    i finished reading all the comments, and you answer their questions perfectly. Nagtataka lang ako sa makukulit nating mga kababayan, may instruction naman na ang Online TIN application is for self-employed only, professionals and single proprietor. ang linaw ng instructions at meron na ngang QUESTIONS pero sinasagot nila ng MALI para makaproceed. tapos kapag nagkaproblema sa BIR at pinagbabayad ng penalty magagalit.

    it would be a great help to all reading your entry if you put a reminder that the eREG System is for self-employed only like professionals rendering a service for a fee, single proprietors only. if you are a Nurse, teacher, who is employed, you are not considered as professionals so do not get your TIN online. OFW/OWC, you do not get your TIN online.

    kapag unemployed ka or di pa hired, you cannot get a TIN for that purpose.


    • August 31, 2015 at 8:18 pm

      Thanks Papi for the advice. I hope our readers will do so read previous comments which may answer their queries. Though we always welcome new questions and at times it opens up to a new problem which needs solving. Again thanks you very much at salamat sa support.

  99. PJ
    September 5, 2015 at 4:24 pm

    Hi Sir I have a question. they gave me form 2316 in my past employer but I have no TIN number on it. How can I get my TIN # and is my tax is really deducted? or my tax is only in my past employer. please help me.

    • September 7, 2015 at 7:28 am

      Hi PJ,

      One question, is your past employer your first employer? If so, they should have asked you to fill up form 1902 for TIN application. SO better check back with them because kung ganun nga po sila nakakaalam ng TIN number mo. Second question is if the tax they deducted was truly remitted to BIR or they didn’t. If it shows in your payslip that t was deducted to your salary/wages and it is indeed deducted then it is assumed that they have remitted it. The fact na may form 2316 ka means they have deducted it. In a way form 2316 is a proof that you can use when BIR asks kung nagbayad ka ba ng tax mo. Ung former employer mo ang dapat maharap sa kasi in case hindi nga naremit ung tax na dinideduct sayo.

      Hope this helps PJ

  100. mykel
    October 12, 2015 at 7:14 pm

    Hi sir ask ko lang kung ano gagawin ko para kasing dalawa ang TIN number ko yung previous work ko kasi ngfill up ako ng BIR form tapos wala ng binigay sa akin,,tapos nag AWOL ako sa work ko,,tapos nung nakahanap ako ng new work ko nagfill up ulit ako ng BIR form tapos pinasa ko sa BIR,,sir pwede ko bang icancel yung unang TIN ko,,ano po mangyayari sa akin,,plz po sana matulungan nyo ako salamat

    • October 13, 2015 at 6:18 pm

      Hi mykel,

      best way to know is to ask BIR 🙂 kung dalawa man saihin mo honest mistake at gusto mo sya icorrect. Kung hindi makukulang ka gaya ng kaso ni Zoren Legaspi :). May copy ka ba ng mga pinagpafile mo..usually ung unang filing ang correct TIN mo… so better check with BIR para macheck na yan.

      Hope this helps mykel

  101. Julius Caesar Allagadan
    October 13, 2015 at 11:27 pm

    Good evening sir Louis. While I am currently employed, I looked for onother job and get called and ready ti be hired. Because turn over process during my resignation to my current employer is one month I decided to AWOL. What will happen to my taxation or anything that concerns my bir tax. Will my new employer takes over paying my tax, etc. even though I have no formal exit on my current employer? What usually employers or employee do in my case. I hope you help me.

  102. Julius Caesar Allagadan
    October 13, 2015 at 11:35 pm

    …additional sir, can my new employer continue paying my taxes when they hired me already? Even though I still have no formal or final exit in my current? Is there any process i will do to legalized the turn over of my taxation? My current employer is my first job and I get my TIN no. when i got here. I am not interested on my back pay or snything from my current employer, I just want to legally transfer all concerns to my new employer. Help me please.

    • October 14, 2015 at 7:35 am

      Hi Julius,

      First this is just my advise not only to you but also to other employees. Don’t go AWOL on your jobs. Make sure you make a clear exit becuase in the end you will be the one who will get into trouble since you need some documents form your old job.I hope this is clear guys 😉

      Now for your first question. Your old employer as a withholding agent of the BIR should remit the taxes they withheld form your salary no matter what happens. With that, their obligation is to remit up to the time they paid you your salary so in your AWOL days they are not obligated to pay any taxes anymore since they did not pay you any renumearation.

      For your second question. Your soon to become new employer is obligated to let you know to transfer to their home RDO if you already have a valid TIN. They also need from you your form 2316 from your last employer so that if you got employed with them within the year they can compute the right tax deductions on the salary they will pay you since tax are annual adjusted for the yearly substituted filing if you qualify(or some employers just ask their employees to file their ITR on their own but nonetheless you need your form 2316 from your old employer that is why it is not advisable to go AWOL or else you wont get that important document 🙂 ).

      Just an advise, if your new soon to be employer really needs you right away then you got to talk to your current employer about it and ask them to let you go instead of just going AWOL. You need to compromise.Some employers are kind enough to let you go even if they have the 30days required notice and some dont and will make your life miserable by holding onto important docs you need 🙂

      Hope this helps Julius!

      • Julius Caesar Allagadan
        October 14, 2015 at 1:37 pm

        Yes sir Louis thank you very very much. I really have no idea what do. What will happen if my current employer don’t agree on giving me the form 2316 or other important document for me start with other company. It is okay for me lose any benefit from them as long as I get my new job cleanly. Is there any process for me to do, can I get a new Tin or manual move i have to make? If I go to the BIR office what will I do, or will my new employer will do the rest for me? Can I get a new form 2316? Etc.
        My point is, I have no plans on going back to my office because the HR is strict and long process.
        To have a little understanding about me and the company, It is an Architectural firm and I am a junior architect, but unlicensed. My new employer offers me better benefits and compensation and I have the grab the chance. But the problem is I have to start immediately because I have a new project to be assigned. What will they do to take over my BIR responsibilities without me going back to my office anymore.
        I am really confused right now, I need a detailed plan or back up plans to follow sir. Please help me.

        • October 14, 2015 at 4:31 pm

          Hi Julius,

          Question, did you submit a resignation letter indicating that it is effective immediately? The problem is that employers need ample time to compute and prepare your docs so it is important to have at least a number of days to do so(also to transfer your duties to your replacement. Legally you can ask for a copy form your soon to be former employer because they should provide that certificate as a sign that they have deducted and remitted the tax from your salary, If you went back and ask for your 2316 and they didn’t provide you, you can file a complaint at the BIR RDO of your employer. You can then show the complaint you filed to your new employer. ). If you really cant get it from your former employer because your too afraid to face angry former boss and HR 🙂 then you talk to your new employer and explained the situation. And there they can either start you as new employee and assume that you don’t have employment before them thus they will base their computation on that basis and of course the benefits of you having a complete one year tax will be forfeited because even if you file your own ITR using form 1700, you need form 2316 from all employers as proof of the tax withholding.

          If you dont have the guts to go back to the employer you left out of your whim(sorry for the harsh word 🙂 ) then talk to your new employer. If they can accept that you don’t have 2316 they will just ask you to fill up 2305 for an update and and if your new employer’s RDO is different then you might be ask to to file 1905 to change your home RDO to your new employers RDO.

          I hope this helps Julius 🙂 always talk to the people no matter how mad they are already… you got no choice since you went AWOL 🙂 okay

  103. Andy
    October 21, 2015 at 11:11 pm

    Hi Sir,
    First I’m really glad to have found this site. I’ve been looking into TINs for how many days now out of frustration…
    My case is pretty confusing, maybe because I’m new to all of this. You see I was recently employed (contractual) as an instructor (tutor) almost 4 weeks now. I’m still in college and this is my first job, meaning I have no TIN yet. Upon employment, I was told that I was responsible for processing tax returns since this is a contractual job. I only work three times a week, with an estimate of 1.5k income per week, generating about 6k a month, without ITR…then falling under minimum wage. With this am I still required to get a TIN? Reading from previous questions, I think you did mention that minimum wage earners do not require a TIN since they do not pay taxes…yet can this be negotiated with the “employer”?
    Aside from that, I actually want to know how this works. Do I actually need a TIN to get paid (minimum wage)?, and if ever I do get a TIN, how does this work? As in will my “employer” provide record to the BIR that they did pay without deducting ITRs and I’m supposed to file my ITRs (if ever)? I’m sorry for the load of questions, it’s just really frustrating to have your first job as a contractual freelancer. Thank you.


    • October 22, 2015 at 9:10 pm

      Hi Andy,

      First of all let me clarify that I am not an accredited BIR CPA/taxagent thus my advice is only up to what I know(so far) about taxation in the Philippines.

      Our laws says that those who earn income need to file and pay their tax with the exception and that is in your case those who are minimum wage earner. Since you are a minimum wage earner you need not file a tax return and thus you do not need yet a TIN since you are not transacting with the government.

      I have other questions though so that I can answer your questions.
      1. Does your employer require your TIN.
      2. Does your employer give you BIR Form 2307 or any other BIR form to fill up.

      But now TIN is a requirement when you open a bank account or any related financial transaction that would arise to withholding tax. So yes it is good if you can secure your TIN but since in your case you are a contractor you need to get your own TIN by applying as a self-employed taxpayer thus the need to pay the annual registration and the other documentary things with the BIR. Again since you are a minimum wage earner you dont need to file a return(for now who knows your earnings from teaching will grow).If you really need to get your TIN go to the RDO where you practice your business(your tutorial services) and fill up form 1901. Ask the BIR personnel who can guide you to fill it up. You can also check this link for further info and requirements

      Hope this helps Andy.
      The problem with being a contractor is that you need to apply for TIN as a self-employed thus you need to register and pay such registration and maintain records which will be like too costly.

      • Andy
        October 23, 2015 at 3:32 pm

        Thank you very much sir. I will look into that as soon as I get to work. However I have one last question, I’m wondering what other taxes do I need to pay if ever…as a MWE, aside from the annual registration fee.

        • October 27, 2015 at 10:54 pm

          Hi Andy,

          If you are MWE(or rather if your Personal and allowable deduction is bigger than your taxable income) and you don’t have any other source of income, then you won’t be paying any tax for your income since you never go beyond the threshold. And to clarify the annual registration fee is not a tax…it is a registration fee if you are a self-employed or in practice of profession.

          Hope this helped Andy.

  104. rena
    October 22, 2015 at 7:57 pm

    sir i’m a reliever nurse. i have a prc license. i want to ask if i’m considered part time worker or not. they pay me 481php per day. i was under training for 3 days as i got my pay for the 3 days they deducted it which is for professional regulation. when i ask if they will deduct some for my sss contribution they said no because i wasn’t a regular employee. I’m confused if i’m taxable, do i have to pay withholding tax, itr? please help

    • October 22, 2015 at 9:20 pm

      Hi rena,

      Not sure what to tell you actually as well. Did you sign any contract or anything which states your type of employment with them. It looks like you are a part time employee since you are not under probation or something.If you are a reliever nurse for how long or until when? If this is indicated in any of the document you signed then in my opinion you are apart time employee. I also believe it that only regular employees do get deducted with SSS and other government contributions.

      Again I would like to disclaim that I am not an accredited BIR CPA/tax-agent, my opinions and advise is only up to what I know.

      Now, please always note that when one generates income one is liable to pay tax with the exceptions. So I would need to know if the employer ask for your TIN or if they are your first ever employer they ask you to fill form 1902 to get you a TIN. Though a part time if your salary is above the minimum wage earner threshold, the employer will have to deduct withholding tax. Since you were just there for 3 days I assume they have not not yet deducted any tax since the basis would be too small. You have to wait for the next payroll and check your pay slip.

      Also don’t be afraid to ask the HR if you have doubts or questions.

      I hope this helps rena.

  105. rena
    October 25, 2015 at 1:02 pm

    They did not ask for my tin number but they deducted 10% from my salary because I’m a registered pay is only minimum wage..I just don’t know if I need to get a tin number

    • October 27, 2015 at 11:00 pm

      Hi rena,

      If they deducted 10% and never bothered if you have a TIN I think they assumed you are a contractor…but even though they need your TIN to put in their reports to BIR. BUt personally you will need your TIN in the future once you get a full time job. Ask your their HR so that you can clarify this. Maybe they are not aware that you are a new employee and they are your first employers. You will need your TIN now for various government transaction even opening an bank account. Ask them why they didn’t ask you to fill in the required BIR forms for TIN application and if they say they are lazy(that is it is not that important etc etc…) then ask them to give you a form and provide the details they need to fill up and file it yourself.There is I believed an employer - employee relationship even in a part time job thus the need for TIN

      Hope this helps rena

  106. Pil
    October 28, 2015 at 1:28 pm

    Hi Sir,

    I’m a Freelancer and we only get bonuses from sold systems that we assist to make, now my wife wants the right to claim the exemptions for our first child. I have the form and it states there that I should have a TIN number.
    How do I get my TIN? What are the requirements? Thank you in advance.


    • October 31, 2015 at 4:58 pm

      Hi Pil,

      Based on your question I assume this will be your first time to file for your tax because if you have been filing tax or if you are employed before, your employer should get you your TIN. Another issue is that you have some kind of a contractual arrangement and if they are deducting tax on your commissions they should have ask for your TIN before deducting any tax.

      Other than that if you need to get TIN then go to either the BIR RDO where you reside or to the place of business. Ask for form 1901 for TIN application for self-employed and mixed income. Since in your case I believed you dont have an employer-employee relationship. If in doubt then aks the BIR personnel, they should be able to help you what TIN type you should apply for in regards with your type and nature of your source of income.

      Now if your wife will claim your child, I believe you have to execute a waiver that she will claim the exemption. In cases of married individuals and both are earning, it would be beneficial if the one earning regular income or the one who earns a bigger amount can claim the dependent for a smaller tax deduction but in the end of the year technically there should be no difference since married taxpayers should be filing jointly.

      A reminder, if you are filing using 1901 you will need to pay the annual registration fee since you are considered as a business type. ALso there are some other documents you will be needing and that the one paying your income should issue you some certification if they deducted tax from their payments to you.

      Hope this helps Pil.

      Disclaimer: I am not a BIR accredited CPA/tax agent. My opinions are as far as what I know about our tax laws and rulings in the Philippines.

  107. emma
    October 29, 2015 at 9:02 am

    unemployed po ako, gusto ko mag member sa pag-ibig, kailangan ba ng tin number?, kung kailangan, pupunta muna ba ako ng bir? what form ang hihingin ko?

  108. Miru
    December 7, 2015 at 10:00 am

    Hello. Is the BIR strict in requiring marriage contract for male applicants for TIN? I plan to apply for a TIN but I have not secured a Marriage contract yet.

    • December 8, 2015 at 11:36 pm

      Hi Miru,

      Apologize for the long delay been busy with so many things lately.What type of TIN are you applying for? Now a days the BIR is strict so I guess it all depends on what type are you applying for. The very important ID will be your NSO birth certificate either applying as a professional, business, mixed income or an employee. If you you dont have yet your marriage contract and it is required then any proof that you are securing might be okay but if your purpose is just to have a TIN maybe you can apply for the basic TIN or maybe apply as a single and update ones you have your marriage contract.

      I guess they would understand that now it takes time to secure government documents(yep I dont know why the advance technology is not employed by the government and make our lives simpler 🙂 just ranting lolz). But in case you really need that TIN, bring your NSO Birth certificate or even your passport and any document that might be the supporting document for whatever type of TIN you are securing.

      Hope this helps Miru.

  109. Nikko
    December 18, 2015 at 1:08 am

    Hello can i ask if can i get or download a copy of my own 1902 online, I already got one but my mine is missing thanks you

    • December 19, 2015 at 11:28 am

      Hi Nikko,

      How did you fill up that form?Right now I am not sure if BIR keeps digital version of that form specially of you just filled it up manually either from your first employer or by yourself. Also I really haven’t use the new online versions of BIR. I am not sure if they do archieve those and if it could still be retrieve online. If you filled that up from your first employer and if you really need it, you need to ask it from them.

      Hope this helps Nikko. A blessed Christmas and a happy new year!

  110. Zandy
    December 19, 2015 at 11:49 am

    Hi, Louis. Can I update may tin to unemployed status? I did not declare my previous company because I only stayed ther for 2 months? I just want my employment be safe if the HR dives to my background because I might be deemed for not disclosing it. Thank you!

    • December 27, 2015 at 9:49 am

      Hi Zandy,

      There is no such thing as “unemployed” TIN type/status. Once you get your TIN you either fall as employee/self-employed as an individual. If you haven’t declared your previous work better tell your HR. There is nothing wrong even if you only have 2 months of employment. Always remember that honesty is the best. When employers sees that you are dishonest even of the littlest things, they might suspend you or worst fire you. So please be honest.

      Hope this helps Zandy.

  111. Jeng
    January 8, 2016 at 9:16 pm

    Hi sir sana matulungan nyo po ako!
    Nagkaroon na po kasi ako ng work, first job ko mag 3mos lang ako tapos nag Awol ako. Namumroblema ako sa Tin, paano kapag nag trabaho ako ulit? Sympre sila nanaman mag aasikaso ng tin ko. Kase iisipin nila na sila ang first employer ko. Paano po yan? Ayoko naman po sabihin na nag awol ako sa new employer ko baka hnd na ako patuluyin. Please please. Help me…

    • January 9, 2016 at 4:38 pm

      Hi Jeng.the best advice i can give you is be honest.technically dapat may TIN ka na from the previous employer.if may form kang nafillupan ng BIR then most likely my TIN ka na.kung di mo nakuha try to check your payslip.mostlikely dapat nakaindicate dun. If not then asks the help of your employer’s HR to check your TIN number. Hope this helps Jeng

  112. Josh
    January 20, 2016 at 11:07 pm

    Hello po, hope you can help me with my concern.
    I worked for this company for about a month. I never submitted any requirements or forms such as (SSS, Philhealth, Pagibig, registration for tin. yung 1902) hindi naman kasi hiningi agad agad. Then natag ako as awol. Now im planning of applying to a different company. So question ko po, Wala pa akong contrib sa sss, etc? At saka wala pa din po akong tin diba? Kasi hindi naman po ako nagpass ng registration for tin. And dun po sa bago kong aapplyan, dun pa lang ako magpapass ng registration for tin (1902) para sila na yung magprocess ng tin ko? Thank you po.

    • January 25, 2016 at 7:51 am

      Hi Josh,

      The best way para malaman mo is to ask your HR dept. That way mas malinaw. Also check mo ung payslip mo. Kung may mga deductions then may kinakaltas nga sayo but it does not necessarily mean na-apply ka sa SSS, PAGIBIG, TIN… dapat mo pa din itong icheck. Minsan kais out of convenience kaya hindi nag-aask ung HR. Saka na lng nila iaask kung may time sila. Be pro-active na lang. Wag matakot magtanong sa HR… they should be bale to answre your simple queries… remember sweldo yan baka di mo alam may kinakaltas sayo an di naman nareremit.

      Hope this helps Josh.

      • Josh
        January 27, 2016 at 4:04 pm

        Yes I understand. But the fact that I did not submit an application/enrolment form for my tin to the company means that I dont have a TIN yet, right? Because I already applied to a different company and theyre asking if I already have a tin, because they will be the one to process my TIN in case I dont have it yet.

        Thanks Louis.

        • January 31, 2016 at 11:58 pm

          Hi Josh, sorry for the late reply. Most of the time the cause of an employee having two TIN(which is punishable by law) is due to employee not getting their TIN from their first employer then applying for another TIN in their second employer assuming that the first employer did not apply you for TIN.Madali syang maayos but it is hassle. So better make sure you fix it before getting another one unintentionally. Hope this helps.

  113. Nikki
    January 24, 2016 at 5:17 am

    Hi! I will be working in an embassy by Feb and I’m quite confused with the taxes. Since they are a foreign body, they said they are not responsible with the declaration of our taxes. Now, I’m not sure what procedures should I proceed with. I hope my query is clear enough because I don’t have the slightest idea since I’m a fresh grad. Thank you very much!

    • January 25, 2016 at 7:47 am

      Hi Nikki,

      Yes that is correct. With that you will be filling your own tax return to the BIR this coming April. As if you are an OFW since technically you are working in a foreign land. With that you need to apply for your own TIN and pay your taxes on or before April 15(depending on the deadline set by BIR) for the previous year earnings.

      Ho pe this helps Nikki.

  114. Nel
    January 29, 2016 at 3:56 pm

    Hello! I currently need a TIN no. because I’ll be one of the incorporator of a corporation to be registered. I’ve never been employed so I don’t have a TIN no. What’s the appropriate form I need for my application? Or will I not be able to get a TIN no? I really don’t know what to do so I’d love to get some help. Thank you very much!

    • February 1, 2016 at 12:01 am

      Hi Nel.You can apply TIN under EO98. Ask BIR personnel where you are applying and tell them that you are unemployed but will be an incorporator and need a TIN to transact with the government. Hope this helps.

  115. Julius
    February 5, 2016 at 10:54 am

    hello sir, i applied recently sa isang agency(1st time), then pinapabalik nila ako para mag pasa ng requirements (SSS NBI PHILHEALTH TIN) ok na po ako sa 3 requirements, pero yung TIN wala pako, so based sa mga research ko sa google, employer or hr ang nag aasikaso nun, paano po gagawin ko nirerequire ako ng agency na ipasa yung mga requirements nayan pagbalik ko sa kanila. salamt po

    • February 9, 2016 at 12:09 am

      Hi Julius, pasensya nat natagalam sa pagsagot. UNg kais sa isyu ng HR/employer processing your TIN if first time is applicable sa employee-employer relationship. Di ko sure kung agency. SO kung pinapakuha ka ng sarili mo ibig bang sabihin wala kayong employer-employee relationship? In case pwede ka naman kumuha ng sarili mo sa RDO na malapit sa place of work mo or sa residence mo din. But in case ask mo sa mga BIR personnel kung anong type ng TIN ang kukunin mo.Ichecehck ko din ito I hope nakatulong ako sa iyo Julius.

  116. mark
    February 12, 2016 at 6:05 pm

    hello sir! ask ko lng po, my mother is already a senior citizen sir, pwede po ba siyang kumuha ng tin pero unemployed po siya.. thank you sir!

  117. Mirm
    February 23, 2016 at 11:58 am

    Hi Sir..

    Kinda confuse lang po kase if i have to file an itr bfore April. Currently employed po kase ako now s isang agency and nka deploy po ko sa client nla..i worked as QA already for 10 months na..started May 5,2015 to now. My previous work is a company from Makati..started Dec 2014-Feb 4,2015. 12k a month lang po sahod ko s current employer ko now. Need ko pba mag file ng taxes? And if nirequired aq to file then ask me 2316 pra maconsolidate ung taxes. Mkakakuha po kaya ako from my prev company? Since 1 and a half.months lng ako nagstay don. Pde po pa analyze if need pb ng magfile or kunin ung 2316..dpat b magfile base s nabnggit kong duration of employment ko s knla. Thank you so much.

    • Mirm
      February 23, 2016 at 12:31 pm

      Take note po that im only a contractor..sir thank u..

  118. Mika
    March 4, 2016 at 5:14 pm

    Hi Sir Louis,
    Im an accountancy student and my professor in my law subject told us to have already our own tin number and if we get our tin number, he will give us additional points. Is it okay or valid to have although Im underage (Im only 17) and unemployed? Hope you will help me. Thanks in advance. 🙂

    • March 4, 2016 at 8:50 pm

      Hi Mika, of course if your reason for securing your TIN is to have additional points in school you wont get a it.Instead apply for TIN under EO98.this is an application where the reason is that you will transact with the government or pay some taxes like tax on real estate or interest on deposits.also it is I believe a requirement of the bank since you will get interest income. Hope this helps Mika.

      • Mika
        March 6, 2016 at 11:53 am

        What will I tell to the bank to give me a letter for the issuance of my tin #? Does all banks really need it as a requirement? Thanks

        • March 7, 2016 at 12:36 am

          Hi Mika. No need to get any documents from the bank. Just go to the BIR RDO nearest your residence and apply for TIN under EO98. Kindly also check the BIR website for what is EO98 for you to get all the requirements before going to BIR

  119. Mina
    March 13, 2016 at 9:47 pm

    Good day sir! I just want to ask, In what matter it can help students?

    • March 15, 2016 at 11:46 pm

      Hi Mina, right now most banks require TIN.If you will open a new account, having your TIN matters.

  120. kitch
    March 15, 2016 at 9:36 pm

    Hello po… Nag wowork po ako sa government hospital as no employee-employer relationship po… Hindi pa ako nakaka kuha ng TIN number ko nakakaltasan na ako ng 2% tax sa sahod ko mga 2years bago ako nakaroon ng TIN number. Tanong ko lng po kahit na wala ka pang TIN number pwdeng kaltasan ung sahod mu ng tax? Equal po ba ang pagkaltas ng 2% sa mga job order or contractual kahit na my mga pamilya na compare sa mga single? D ba pag no employee employer relationship parang individual payer po kmi? Pls reply..thank u

    • March 15, 2016 at 11:50 pm

      Hi kitch,

      Yes ang treatmenr sa inyo ay contractor kaya siguro 2%.Withholding po yan kaya parehas lng. Ang tanong kp.po ay binigyan ba kayo ng form 2307 kasi un po ung proof of witholding. Un po hahanapin pg ngfile ka na ng tax mo

      • kitch
        March 21, 2016 at 4:27 pm

        Hello po sir, ano po ung ang pinagkaiba ng 1902 sa 2307? Kc po ung sa akin 1902.. Pwde palang kaltasan ng tax kahit hindi pa nagkakaroon ng TIN? Thank u po

        • March 29, 2016 at 9:28 pm

          Hi kitch ung 1902 ay form for TIN application while 2307 ay certificate of withholding tax withheld.Ang tanong is bakit ka may 1902? Magaaply ka pa lng ba ng TIN or binigay ba yan sau ng ospital at wala man lng explanation? At binasa mo din ba kung ano ung form na un.Kung nakaltasan ka ng 2% dapat bigyan ka nila ng 2307 as proof na nakaltasan ka ng 2% para sa services mo.So siguro binigyan ka ng 1902 para magaaply ka ng TIN ang problema di man lng inexplain sayo. But kung may TIN na ung 1902 mo at may tatak na nareceived na ng BIR maybe copy mo yan.but still dapat ka nilang issuehan ng 2307 as proof of the 2% tax withheld as payment for your services.

          Hope this helps kitch

  121. Raymund
    March 17, 2016 at 5:38 pm

    Sir I need your help. Earlier today nagregister po ako sa BIR online para makakuha ng TIN. Nagkamali po yata ako dahil dun ako sa professional category nakapagfill up ng form. Nagsend ng email sakin at sabi kailangan ko daw magbayad ng 500 pesos para sa TIN ko. Kasama dun sa email na yun yung tin number ko na nakaregister sa RDO dito sa Cavite kasi taga dito po ako eh. Paano po kaya gagawin dito? Pwede ko po ba ipacancel yung TIN number na yun at kumuha ng for employee only na TIN number? Kinakabahan ako kasi this is my first time to apply for a TIN. Sana po mareplyan ninyo ako. I’m planning to go to the RDO that I was instructed to go tomorrow para maiayos to. Hindi po ba mahirap tong nangyare sakin? Maaayos din po kaya ito? Salamat sir.

    • March 18, 2016 at 7:51 am

      Hi Raymund, yes go to the RDo and explain that you made an error in the online application. Your TIN number will still be the same in case but they have to change it from self-employed to an employee TIN. Wag kang kabahan basta explain the error and surely they will correct it. By the way bakit ka nga ba kumuha ng TIN online? Kung dahil sa first job mo usually ung first employer ang nag-aarange nyan. Kung kukuha ka lng ng TIN for other reasons but not as an employee or business like opening a bank account, may babayarang tax sa govrenment etc.. get a TIN na ang reason ay for EO98.

      Hope this helps Raymund.

      • Phil
        March 18, 2016 at 10:42 am

        Actually, this happened to me while freelancer pa lang ako accepting job offers like encoding, editing and kung ano pa makayanan magawa ng computer. Nag register ako online late October (RDO 48), tapos may email din na icomplete ko daw at magbayad ng 500 kaso whole November eh napauwi kami sa province for some emergency and so 1st week ng December ko na nabalikan. Then ang sabi dun is kelangan ko ng Contract of Lease dahil nag aapartment ako dito sa Bangkal, kaso yung landlady namin eh mid Feb na naibigay yung Contract.

        Mid January nag apply na ko sa isang company and nakuha ako tapos this late March daw mag start so inaayos ko na lahat ng requirements, binalikan ko na yung BIR (RDO 48) nung isang araw para macomplete na yung registration then mapalipat na rin yung RDO ko para under na sa inaapplyan ko, ang sabi is magpapa Verify na daw ako, baka may penalty, so dadaanan ko halos lahat ng tao dun at verify ng TIN. Then nagtatanungan na sila, ano daw gagawin pag ganito, then ang sabi nung isang head is “gawa daw ako ng letter na naka address sa District Officer nila na sabihin nagkamali lang ng pagregister online at kung pwede bang papalitan nlng ng locally employed yung TIN ko instead of self employed na inapplyan ko nun at hindi na mauulit yung pagkakamali ko na yun.”. Letter na parang nililigawan ko daw yung pinaka head nila. Ahaha!

        I have submitted the letter and other papers needed for completion pero wala yung head, so babalik ako mamaya. I just hope wala akong babayaran na malaki. Will update here agad kung ano man mangyayari.

        • March 18, 2016 at 12:10 pm

          Thank you very much Phil for sharing. Yes tao rin naman ung mga nasa BIR/RDo so we can talk to them and hope for the best na they can understand our situation. Well goodluck Phil and I hope they could just say it was an error and no need to pay any penalties.

          • Raymund
            March 18, 2016 at 1:41 pm

            Hello sirs. Kakauwi ko lang from BIR dito samin sa Cavite. Naayos naman yung registration ko at nakuha ko na yung TIN number ko with I.D. Pero sabi sakin ng babae dun yung status ko ay professional pa rin. Tinanong ko sila kung pwede ko to ibigay sa inaapplyan ko. (PHILIPPINE NAVY) Sabi nila ay okay na daw yun dahil ito na rin naman daw ung TIN number ko habang buhay. Ang sabi ko kasi ay “Mam paano po ito? Pwede ko po bang ipasa itong TIN number na to sa Phil Navy? Sabi nung babae “Oo. Yan na din naman kasi yung TIN mo habang buhay. Ang pinaguusapan lang naman natin dito ay yung status mo which is professional.”

            So I assume na okay na tong TIN na to. Basta may TIN. And who knows maybe in the future kapag retired nako sa service at maisipan kong magopen ng negosyo eh hindi ko na kelangan kumuha ng pro TIN number sa BIR dahil pro na ako ngayon haha! 🙂

            And I also assume that there will be no further problems dahil tutal TIN ko na rin naman to sa panghabang buhay ko. So ito na rin gagamitin ko sa trabaho. Hope this helps. Itong kwento ko na may kaparehas na pangyayare.

            They told me na bayaran ko nalang daw yung 500 pesos na fee kasi pag nagkapenalty baka mas malaki pa rin ung babayaran. So yun ang ginawa ko. No choice ako eh. Para lang matapos na at magkaron ng TIN haha.

            Thank you mga sirs. I’ll keep in touch sa post na to. 🙂

          • Phil
            March 18, 2016 at 2:30 pm

            Just got back from BIR, took me 5mins and walang binayaran. One of the heads na nag assist sakin named Janet, she was kind. Medyo mainit lang ulo nya nung dumating ako kaya natakot ako lumapit but she joked around saying “Naiinitan lang kasi ako, wag ka matakot at mabait talaga ako” nung papalapit na ako sa desk nya. Haha!

            All I did was submit another copy of form 1905 para sa change RDO, Then from self employed RDO 48 dati, I am now locally employed under the RDO ng inapplyan kong company.

            All in all, they were good people. Kausapin lang sila ng maayos.

          • March 18, 2016 at 11:53 pm

            Thanks Phil for sharing your experience. Yes gaya ng sinabi tao rin naman mga tao dun so don’t be afraid to ask. Try to understand na may mag times lng talaga na stress at wala sa mood just like you and me. I hope also that all BIR personnel are as cool as Janet, trabaho lng po walang personalan at syempre serbisyo sa bayan. To Ms. Janet ng RDO 048 mabuhay po kayo.

            As for Raymund I am not quite sure bakit iniwan lng nila na as is pa at pinagbayad ka pa. Kasi kung self-employed ka you need to renew that registration yearly and you need to comply with the bookkeeping requiremenst. But kung ganun nga nangyari may mga details siguro na di ko alam. If you still plan to do sideline jobs and report them as your income in your ITR then okay lng ung current category ng TIN mo but again you need to follow and submit the yearly requirements and renewals. And yes once nabigyan ka ng TIN un na nag TIN mo… papabago mo lng ung category kung self-employed/or in business or employee or under EO98.

            Again thank you for sharing your experiences. I like this kid of exchange kais natuto taying lahat. FOr those who want to share please do so and also hindi lng sana mga bad experience ang isahre but also the good ones. These stories will boost the moral of the few good people in the BIR at sana ung mga not so good ung ginagawa sa loob ay magbago na din and be truly of service sa ating mga kababayan nila. Tapat at tootong paglilingkod .

  122. Lenlen
    March 29, 2016 at 6:43 am

    Sir goodmorning. Ask ko lang po. Dati po akong nagwork sa sto. Tomas batangas. Ngayon po sila po yung nag-asikaso nung TIN. Basta nagfill up lang kame hindi ko po masyadong mataan kung 1902. Ngayon po andito ako sa amin dun po aq mgwwork sa bayan. infact papasok na po ako sa april. Ipinapakuha po nung mam ko yun TIN number ko. Ano po ba yun pupunta pa po ba ako sa bayan para dun kunin ung TIN or pde po bang sa mismong munisipyo nmen dito sa amin. Salamat po!

    • March 29, 2016 at 9:37 pm

      Hi Lenlen. Kung nasa iyo pa din ung 1902 na nafillupan mo sa unang work at may nakalagay na number dun un na ung TIN mo. Kung blank un dapat mon balikan sa unang employer mo or kung may payslip ka sa dating work usually nilalagay ung TIN ng empleyado.usually trabaho ng unang employer ang pagkuha ng TIN para sa mgabagong employee na wala pang TIN. Kung nagissue naman ung dati mong employer ng form2317 pwedengun na ang ibigay mo sa employer mo. At kung ung RDO ng bago mong employer ay iba sa dating employer,dapat kang magfile ng change in jome RDO dunsa RDO ng dating employer. Kungnaguguluhan ka ask mo ung HR mo para explain nila mabuti at mabigyan ka ng tamang direction. Again kungbinigyan ka ng dating employer ng 2317 unna un ang kailangan mong ipasaaa bagong employer.nandun na dapatang TIN mo at mga detalyena kailangan ng bagong employer.

      Hope this helps Lenlen

  123. Lenlen
    March 30, 2016 at 7:29 am

    Salamat po sir. Btw, yung work ko po dati sa sto. Tomas first work ko po yun. Kaya po yung employer ko ang nagasikaso ng TIN namin. Production operator po ako dun. Ang tanong ko po is ano po kaya ang fifill upan kong form since dito na po ako samen magwwork?

    • April 9, 2016 at 11:18 am

      Hi Lenlen, dapat bigyan ka ng 2307 ata un para sa update.tapos dapat idirect ka kung papaano magfile ng changes kung magkaibang RDO ung dati at bagong employer which i think is form 1905. Dapat alamyan ng mga nasa HR 😉

  124. danz
    April 4, 2016 at 9:24 am

    HI sir! Just want to ask po kasi pano ba kumuha ng TIN number wala pa po kasi akong tin number and I will be working soonest po. Pano if wala akong employer can I still get a tin number po ba? What will be the requirements and how much payment po? And anong form po ba ang pwede kong kunin po? How many days bago makuha ang tin number sir? Thanks po. I really need help with this. Thanks!

    • danz
      April 4, 2016 at 9:40 am

      I have a job before but I don’t have any TIN can I get now for future job purposes?

      • April 9, 2016 at 11:25 am

        Hi danz, binigyan ka ba ng dating employer ng 2316 nungkinuha mo last pay mo? Kasi ung unang employer ang dapat magasikaso ng TIN. So make sure muna na hindi ka nga kinuhanan ng TIN ng unang employer mo. Kung wala ka pa namang urgent requirement sa TIN kahit sa next employer mo na lng. Sabihin mo na hindi ka kinuhanan ng dating employer mo. Hope this helps danz

  125. Arnel
    April 7, 2016 at 10:03 pm

    Hi Sir, I am working for 2 years na po sa private school, ng resign po ako, I am sorry for my ignorance, wala pala ako tin number at monthly ako kinakaltasan sa payslip ko. I talked sa hr department they confirmed n wala po ako tin number, ako daw po dpat ng process noon . What is the best thing to do Sir ?

    • April 9, 2016 at 11:15 am

      Hi Arnel, ung school ba ang una mong work at ikaw ay employee ba dun at hindi contractual? Kung ganun dapat sila nagayos ng TIN application mo, in the first place kinaltasan ka ng tax.para malaman kung tinreat ka ba aa employee or contractual compute mo kubg 2% ung kinaltas ma tax every pay. Kung 2% contractual ka at tama sila na ikaw dapat nagprocess ang mali lng hindi ka hiningian ng TIN at inadvise na kumuha ka.Also kung cobtractual ka dapat every pay binigyan ka ng 2307. Now sabi ko nga kung empleyado naman ang treatment sayo at sila ung pinaka una mong employer dapat pinagfillip ka ng 1902 at sila magdidirect sayo kung hindi sila ang magaasikaso pero dapat sila 😉 hope this helps Arnel

  126. yen
    April 8, 2016 at 1:48 am

    Hi! Sir, ask ko lang po.. For requirements na po kasi ako, isa po kasi sa mga requirements ko ung TIN I’d/1902 ang prob ko lng po wala pa akong TIN I’d at wala rn naman din akong 1902 na copy kasi nasa dati ko pa pong employer un na nag asikaso ng TIN ko., pwde po ba akong mag fill up ng 1902 ulit w/ my TIN no. Papastamp ko nalng sa kung San ako nka registered or rdo nka assign? Mjo need po kasi ng rush, kya matagal pa pag TIN I’d .. Thank you po..=)

    • April 9, 2016 at 11:07 am

      Hi Yen, ung TIN id pwede mo kunin sa RDO kubg san ka inapply ng dati mong work.Medyo wierd ung bago mong work. Kasi since may work ka na dati at sabi mo sila nagapply sayo ng TIN dapat hanapan ka nila ng 2316 nagaling sa dati mong employer. Yan ung dapat binigay ng dati mong employer kasama ng last pay mo. Hope this helps yen

  127. John
    April 14, 2016 at 1:21 pm

    Hi sir,

    I read your article and napakainformative.. i have a question though may problema din kasi ako sa tin. My first job only lasted one month but i filed an application of tin. nung nagresign nako after a month yung binigay nilang 2316 tin number is sa company mismo pero akala ko tin ko yun since supposed to be tin number mo yung nasa employee section dun right? so when i move to my new company yun yung binigay kong tin number which is tin pala ng 1st employer ko. now i’m on my 3rd job tsaka ko lang nalaman na wala akong tin under sa name ko ng pumunta ako sa BIR to move my RDO.. ano po nangyari sa mga tax na kinaltas sakin mali sila ng hinulugan? is this my fault? and what about my ITR so bale wala akong contriubution sa tax all this pero may kaltas ang salary ko. pasagot naman po salamat!.. anyway sa 3rd company ko nagapply na lang ako ng new tin since wala nga daw tin number yung name according sa BIR.

    • April 14, 2016 at 5:34 pm

      Thanks John for sharing your experience. Magsilbi sanang lesson sa iba na they hav eto check with their HR kung may discrepancies na nakita. Now sa issue kung may pananagutan ka ba personally I think wala kasi you were in good faith at since may nakaltas na tax sa sweldo mo it should be enough eveidence na hibndi ka nagevade. As far as you are concern ay mali lng ung TIN sa 2316 mo. Ang may pananagutan dapat ay ung unang compnay mo dahil erroneous ung filing nila. Sila dapat ang magcheck nun and I assume they did remit ung kinaltas nila na tax hindi lng properly identified kung para kaninong TIN un.

      Hope this helps John.

      • John
        April 15, 2016 at 9:19 am

        Thank you for the response. I hope all is well this time for me and for the rest of the guys here. Keep on helping Sir Louis

  128. posta eletronica
    April 14, 2016 at 7:39 pm

    Good evening sir! 

    Last year of February, I acquired online Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) which is required for opening a COL Financial account.
    I am classified as a sole proprietor and received an email to submit BIR Form 1901 to Revenue District Office (RDO), pay P500 Registration Fee, and secure my TIN card and Certificate of Registration. I did not proceed with these steps. Yesterday, I called the BIR office staff to inquire about my current tax situation. She told me to file first for Income Tax Return (ITR) to avoid penalty before I can cancel my registration. Can I cancel my registration without filing for ITR? Can I amend it using the BIR Form 1904 (E.0. 98) so I won’t need to pay the P500 Registration Fee? How can I change the taxpayer type from sole proprietor to E.O. 98? 

    I am waiting for an affirmative reply from you. Thank you.

    • April 16, 2016 at 10:04 am

      Hi Posta electronica. I am not quite sure how did you file online. I know there is a way to file not as a sole proprietorship. Another also is that you should have fix it right away last year so that you can argue with the BIR that it was an honest mistake when you filed online. I know you can easily talk to BIR people since they are humans as well. Try it again go directly to the RDO it was assigned to you based on your online registration and explain your situation. If they insist that you file then I think you have to and ssince you said you filed for TIN just for your COL requirements you can declare that all your income is from stock transaction tax which is a final withholding tax thus you will be filing zero taxable income anyways. Should you have acted on this right away there should be no such fuss because again people in BIR are human also and you can appeal to their human senses :). Hope this helps. If unsure how to go with this better seek assistance from CPA friends and ask them to guide you on this.

      • April 23, 2016 at 11:57 am

        Hi! I have the same problem. I wanted to acquire a TIN for the purpose of opening a bank account. Did this last Friday lang. Now, my problem is, I’m tagged as a PROFESSIONAL, and I assume that I have to file annual taxes na, right?

        Is it really possible to change my tax payer status from professional to one-time tax payer? (EO 98). What are the requirements kaya?

        Huhuhu I’m worried that the BIR personnel will scoff at me because of my stupidity- registering online.

        Any tips po, I mean, ano po kaya sasabihin ko sa kanila? Thank you so much.

        • April 25, 2016 at 10:03 pm

          Hi Jean,

          Just tell them the truth, so what if they laugh… it is an honest mistake and you can print the email you should receive to confirm your TIN online registration. Just go to the RDO mentioned that you should be registered with and explain that you are not quite familiar with the online registration and you would like to correct it to be a one time registration to transact with government as per required by your bank application. I am quite baffled with people today conscious if they committed mistake. Again it is an honest mistake, BIR should notice it that their online system is very ineffective in educating/guiding taxpayers they should be the one we should laugh at not us… right.

          But again when you go there be humble enough to admit the mistake you need and ask for their help to correct it. Again as I have a said already, they are just humans just like you and me. They also make mistakes and they also have some bad days so be patient as well if they seem grumpy when they handle your inquiries or complaints and request.

          • April 25, 2016 at 10:25 pm

            Yes, you’re right, mr. Louis. 🙂 I had mine corrected earlier, and I didn’t have any problems during the process..

            They asked some questions though, which I answered honestly, and so, they allowed me to change my taxpayer type.

            Though, I think, if I waited for weeks before having it changed, it would be more difficult. I asked someone who had the same problem, and it took her a month or so before she visited her RDO. They asked her for an affidavit because of that.

          • April 25, 2016 at 10:56 pm

            Thanks jeanjerbred for the input. It will surely help others who have the same issue as yours.

  129. arnelpagdanganan
    April 29, 2016 at 11:51 am

    good day..ask ko lang new employer told me to get bir forms 1905 and 2305 as part mo my requirements..can i get those forms at any bir branches? can i also download and print it?

    • May 8, 2016 at 2:08 pm

      Hi arnel, yes you can get a copy at any BIR Rdo and you can also prinr it online. Pero dapat the HR have copiws as well.tamad lng siguro.

      Hope this helps arnel

  130. arnelpagdanganan
    April 29, 2016 at 12:01 pm

    may isa pa po akong question..peede ko po bang malaman online kung saang RDO nakaregister ang TIN ko?


    • May 8, 2016 at 2:10 pm

      Hi arnel to tell you the rruth di ko alam.May nabasa ako dati you can call a BIR hotline. As for your TiNs last Rdo, un ung RDO ng last employer mo unless nalipat na sa bagong employer.

      Hope this helps

  131. angelica mae gaddi
    May 5, 2016 at 11:04 am

    Sir, i have apply online tin number because i want to open account last april 20, 2016 and when i receive the email nakalagay po mixed income eh ang gusto ko lng nmn is ung pang open lng ng account .. pede po ba un mabago at mapalitan ng EO 98 natatakot po ko kase nailagay ko rin ung tin number ng trabaho ko ng wlang pasabi .. tapos pumunta ako kahapon ang nasabi ko professional ang nailagay ko .. eh ung totoo mixed income ano po bang pedeng gawin ayoko pong maka apekto sa trabaho ko ung ginawa ko.. tapos balak ko pong bumalik ng MAY 16.. para ipasa .. huhuhuhu! gusto ko lng po tlgaa ung pang open ng bank account .. :'(

    • May 8, 2016 at 2:04 pm

      Hi Angelica,sensya na medyo natagalan reply ko. Anyways naguluhan po ako sa situation mo. Just to clarify. May work ka at may TIN ka sa work then nagapply ka online dahil gusto mong magopen ng account sa broker? Kung ganun po no nees for another TIN kasi may TIN ka na unless may sideline business ka or practicing your profession kasabay ng employment mo so mixed income nga. Kung ang balak mo lng ay magopen ng account and still work sa employment mo need for another TIN, pacancel mo na lng bago ka makasuhan ng using 2 TIN.Remember it is a felony to have 2 TINs. Iupdate lng dapat kung nagiba ka ng situation.

      Hope this helps Angelica

      • angelica
        May 10, 2016 at 9:50 am

        hndi sir.. ganto po ung nangyare nung araw na un.. kase sir ang goal ko lng tlga makakuha ng tin for opening a bank account so akala ko tama ung ginawa kong pag register online tapos nakalagy dun kung anong tin number ng pinatatrabauhan ko so nilagay ko ung tin ng pinapasukan kong trabaho then nung nag send na ng email nakalagay mixed income .. kase po sir gusto ko lng po tlga ung pang open ng bank .. tanung ko po sir pede ko po ba mapalitan ung tin ko na mixed income sa eo 98 .. sir hndi ko pa po kailangan ng tin na pang employment gusto ko lng po tlga ung EO 98 .. first time ko lng po kumuha ng tin tapos mali pa.. help me sir .. di ko po alm gagawin dun..

  132. Ed
    May 8, 2016 at 2:49 pm

    Hi sir!

    I wasnt able to report to work april 27 and 28 cause I was sick and I informed my supervisor. Then friday, the 29th, I did not inform that I wont be reporting to work. But I went to the office just to get my salary (check). The hr did not give it because she wants me to submit a photocopy of a valid id so that they can process my atm. I didnt have a photocopy that time so I wasnt able to get it even though I should have. I went back wednesday, may 4, to get my check. A different hr personnel was there. I told her i was looking for the girl responsible for the releasing of our departments checks and that I still havent got my check. But she wasnt there cause shes already in our original work location. The other lady then checked on the emails and she found out that I was tagged as awol last april 30. And she said that it is the reason why Im unable to get my check. I didnt tell her that i was trying to get my check last april 29 and that it was available and that I should have received it if only I submitted a photocopy of a valid id. I messaged my supervisor about this and he told he that i wont be able to get it cause i have a pending rtwo. I told him i dont think so cause the check was already available prior to the issuance of an rtwo. Then he asked me what do I think is the reason why the hr did not give it. I told him because of a photocopy of a valid id that i wasnt able to submit til now. And that my salary on may 15 should be the one that they hold.

    This concern may be different but any take on this sir? Do you think i really wont be able to get my check? Thanks.

    • May 8, 2016 at 10:25 pm

      Hi Ed,

      This is an HR issue. Try reading your company’s policy. Most companies require an explanation and a medical certificate if you have been absent for more than 2 days at if more than that you will be AWOL thus grounds for termination. It is in your part, your negligence to report to HR. If your company has some way to track your attendance like biologs to time card and you didn’t file anything at all then as any other company, the policy is always enforced. By the way, what is “rtwo” not sure what taht is.

      Your best way to get your check is to talk to the HR and the manager of your department or Division higher than your supervisor. This is not atx related issue Ed by hey tried answering to the bets that I can and sorry to tell you that it was your fault.

      Good luck talking to your HR.

  133. Francis
    May 8, 2016 at 3:55 pm

    Good day po.
    Ask ko lang po yung sa online registration sa bir pra sa tin no. Niregister po kasi ako date ng dating ko trabho actually first job ko po sya, wala pa po kasi ako tin no nun. Sbi nila mag pa verify daw ako ng tin no. Sa bir dahil meron na dw po ako existing tin no. Pano po ba kaya nangyare yun eh first time ko plang po nun kukuha ng tin tapos meron na daw existing tin. Pano po kaya yun wla man lang ako pinanghahawakan certificate na katunayan na meron na ko tin number.

    • May 8, 2016 at 10:31 pm

      Hi Francis, medyo nagulhan ako sa statement mo. Sensya na :). so to clarify. sinabihan ka ng first job mo na magpaverify ka sa BIR kais daw may tin ka na. Ang tanong may part time work or may finaile ba dati sayo under EO98. Baka may pinamana sayo dati na di mo alam at nagfile sila ng EO98 for your TIN pra maprocess un. KUng wala naman, nagparttime ka ba dati? baka kinuhanan ka ng TIN. Mas tama na iverify mo nga baka kapangalan mo lng un. Kung sabi nga nil ana may TIN ka na kunin mo ung TIN na sinasabi nla para matawagan mo BIR to verify nga.

      Kung wala sila mabugay na number pano nila nalaman na may TIN ka na di ba. Ask for the number they claim to be your TIN para maverify mo sa BIR at kung meron nga un, un na talaga TIN mo. Wala pa ako alam na online verification for individuals but you can call BIR Contact Center at 981-8888

  134. Marry
    May 13, 2016 at 3:25 pm

    Hello sir! I’m glad i found this site..
    Sir nag apply po ako sa isang company and then they gave me a form of application which i must indicate my TIN but during that time wala pa po akung TIN eventhough na I’m already employed (current job) so dahil sa deadline na po ng application for the next day what i have done is nag apply po aku online at eventhough i know that i am not a self employed/professional type is tinuloy q po yun for the sake na makakuha lang po ako ng TIN.. I have received the confirmation sa email ko po and then it was stated to go to my RDO and to pay 500 but i didn’t.. Now, my problem po sir is i got hired in a bank and then one of the requirement is the TIN Card..the RDO of my future employer is different from the RDO na inaplayan ko po online…
    So here are my concerns: can i change my RDO?
    3.How can i change my TIN Type from professional to individuals earning purely compensation?
    4. Still should i pay the 500 fee eventhough i wanted to change my tin Type?
    5.Is this a serious matter? ( like i will be given some penalties or fines)

    Thank u so much! Hope u can help me sir..

  135. Marry
    May 13, 2016 at 3:48 pm

    Hello sir! I’m glad i found this site..
    Sir nag apply po ako sa isang company and then they gave me a form of application which i must indicate my TIN but during that time wala pa po akung TIN eventhough na I’m already employed (current job) so dahil sa deadline na po ng application for the next day what i have done is nag apply po aku online at eventhough i know that i am not a self employed/professional type is tinuloy q po yun for the sake na makakuha lang po ako ng TIN.. I have received the confirmation sa email ko po and then it was stated to go to my RDO and to pay 500 but i didn’t.. Now, my problem po sir is i got hired in a bank and then one of the requirement is the TIN Card..the RDO of my future employer is different from the RDO na inaplayan ko po online…
    So here are my concerns: can i change my RDO?
    3.How can i change my TIN Type from professional to individuals earning purely compensation?
    4. Still should i pay the 500 fee eventhough i wanted to change my tin Type?
    5.Is this a serious matter? ( like i will be given some penalties or fines)

    Thank u so much! Hope u can help me sir..

  136. Francis
    May 25, 2016 at 8:09 pm

    Wla po pinamana atdi po ako nag part time sir. Gulat nalng po ko kase nung time na iregister nla ako sa online registration ng tin no. Sbe po nila may name daw na similar record in the bir . And then pinapunta po ko nila sa bir para i verify then ayon po . Meron n nga po ako tin no. Pano kaya yun

  137. Nyl
    July 3, 2016 at 1:50 pm

    Hi sir ng awol po ako sa first job ko and meron na po ako tin# ung employer ko po ng asikaso nun, kso wla po akong copy ng tin# ko sa BIR na po ba ako hihingi ng copy nun?

    • July 5, 2016 at 9:01 pm

      Hi Nyl,

      Pasensya na for the late reply. Sa TIN mo dapat nakaindicate yan sa payslip mo din. Usually also kung umabot ka ng mga around January sa company dapat bingyan kanila nung ITR at dapat ung tamang TIN mo ang nandun. Kung sakali mang di mo na alaga kayang bumalik sa employer(dahil nga nag-AWOL ka) the best way is to go to the RDO kung san ka kunuhanan/niregister ng employer mo(usually ito ung RDO ng dati mong employer). magdala ka ng mga ID kais iveverify nila un.

      Hope this helps Nyl.

  138. Jake
    July 7, 2016 at 10:51 am

    Hi Sir! I bump to this site and am thinking you might help me with my confusion. Am currently employed and has TIN but also doing consultancy. Now am buying product for my client from a supplier. In order for me to purchase it, they need my TIN. Question po. How does it affect my tax status? knowing that I am employed.

    • July 7, 2016 at 12:46 pm

      Hi Jake,

      Is your consultancy sideline registered? Then you need to change our tax type into mixed income earner. You can go ahead andbuse yoyr TIN but if the amount of the purchase is significant then you need to record your expenses and so that you can claim them when you file your income tax.technically you have a sole proprietor business and employment as sources if income.

      Hope this helps Jake.

  139. Ja
    July 10, 2016 at 12:17 am

    Hi Louis,

    Thanks for this.

    My first job in 2014 is contractual. I was asked of my TIN only after a month as I passed documents for the processing of my 1st salary. They asked me to download the form online and apply to BIR for TIN. I know I could have had done some more research, but I thought I was an individual earning purely compensation since I have no sidelines of any sort. So I downloaded 1902, accomplished it and went to the personnel/HR. The head of the personnel/HR signed it. All the while I thought I was considered an employee due to my registration, even though they only withheld 5% of my salary.

    Then, I transferred to a project-based consultancy contract in 2ndQ 2015. They only asked for my TIN for the processing of salary, not considering whether it is as pure earning individual or self-employed. As long as you have TIN, it was okay. To be honest at that time I thought, if it is needed, they would have asked me to change/update things. So it went on until 2nd Q this year. Somewhere between March-May they issued a 2307. I do not know how I will file my ITR.

    Should I use 1701 even if my registration is 1902?

    I don’t know what to do.

    • July 11, 2016 at 5:07 pm

      Hi Ja,

      You need to update your TIN from employee to self-employed/contractor since the second employer did not offer you an employee-employer type of relationship. I will get back to you on this. I am just off-site and have limited access to my files and internet.

  140. Jj
    July 16, 2016 at 5:59 am

    Hi Louis,

    I registered online
    Worked it out and filled the forms online
    Then suddenly at the confirmation page just before the end confirmation for the final details
    It said that something went wrong please register again but when i tried again it says i already have a similar record.
    And i called to verify also went to respective RdO to be sure, there is no tin number under my name yet and told me that to wait 3 working days

    My question are
    1.”What If” the email for the tin no. Does not come on that day and cant still give me a tin number on site
    2. Will i be able to request to the BIR to erase that record of mine

    Please and thank you

    • July 16, 2016 at 7:22 am

      Hi Jj,

      If that is the case then talk to the same BIR personnel you talk to so that they can reverify it and if there is none surely they will tell you to file right there now since you are already there in their office.

      • Jj
        July 16, 2016 at 11:46 am

        Thank you very much 🙂

  141. July 24, 2016 at 11:51 am

    Hi Louis,

    Hingi sana ako ng advice. What if ilang taon na ako sa online job ko pero now long ako kukuha ng tin and pay taxes. I started working nung 2013 pero 3rd year college palang ako nun, the reason why I work online para may pang bayad ako sa school ko. ngayon, regular worker na ako sa isang company based online with a decent salary, and I wanted to get tin to pay some tax and planning to do stock investments. Anu po magandang gawin?


    • July 29, 2016 at 11:47 pm

      Hi James,

      Quick answer is go and apply for TIN and as if now ka lng magstart 😛 but if makabayan ka at you would like to be honest then you can say to the BIR personnel that you really started back in 2013. But again how can you prove that :). But again be honest. They might let you pass if you are just earning enough back then. If minimum rin lng naman nung nagstart ka na if you compute ang lalabas is your income ay hindi halos lumagpas sa threshold para magbayad ka na ng tax eh di technically okay lng.

      File as if now ka lng start. Pwede mo sabihing sideline lng sya dati. If ever how can di assess you kais malamang walng prof or trail since wla ka naman record. But again be honest and it is good that you decifed to get your TIN for your online gig.

      My advice may not sound good though so please seek other CPA or tax lawyers who, off course, gives free advice 🙂

  142. August 3, 2016 at 11:56 pm

    hi sir,

    OFW po ako nag apply po ako online TIN for opening account po sa COL FINANCIAL, pero mali pala yun kase 1901 po yun eh ang kailangan ko pa ay yung 1904 paano po ba ma amend yun kase po andito ako sa ibang bansa, I hope matulungan nyo ako.



    • August 17, 2016 at 12:48 am

      Hi Jocelyn,

      I am not sure if pwede ka through the consulate kung san ka nagwowork. Try mo icheck kung may support or email na pwed emo ieemail dun sa respnse nung nagapply ka online. If not you can give COL ung TIN na nakuha mo online and make sure to amend/change ung type nya pag-uwi mo dito sa Pinas.

      Hope this helps jocelyn

  143. Maeric
    August 10, 2016 at 12:02 am

    Hi Sir Louis,
    Im an OFW po and wanted to open an account in COL. but since i don’t have a TIN so i did mail my documents to my sister so she can process for me but the BIR BUTUAN told her it should be process in manila. And that my employer should apply for me. Nakakainis po tinatamad yata sa work nla naka indicate naman lahat sa authorization letter ko. Anu po best gawin dito? Please pa help po.

    • August 17, 2016 at 12:44 am

      Hi Maeric,

      You can process your TIN online.Check it in the BIR website. But since you are employed with a agency I guess tama ung BIR Butuan na ung employer mo ang dapat nagprocess nun if sila ung unang uan mong employer. Other than that pwede ka mag-apply as one time taxpayer under EO98 but that is disputable since OFW ka at may employer/agency ka which I presume based sa Manila.The bets I think is to contact your employer and ask them for your TIN if they have applied for your TIN. As an employer they should have ask for your TIN, kasama dapat un sa requirements pag nahihire kais now adays kaialnagn ung TIN to open a bank account.

      Hope this helps Maeric

  144. Miki
    August 11, 2016 at 1:31 am


    I think po dalawa TIN Number ko… kasi may card Copy po ako ng TIN number ko which is yun lagi ko sinusulat pag need ng TIN sa forms….but recently nung nagresign ako sa last work ko yung attached na form 2316 TIN Number ko is different from sa hawak kong TIN ID Number, e sa pagkakatanda ko sila rin nmn ang nagissue sakin nung ID since I worked for 10 years sa BPO company nila. project based po ako. May effect po ba ito? or magkakaproblema ba ako pag hinayaan ko na dalawa number ko? at mag stick nalang po ako sa ID card na Hawak ko? Please Advice Thank You

    • August 17, 2016 at 12:39 am

      Hi Miki,

      Yes magkakaproblema ka at mapepepnalize ka pag nahuli ka with 2 TIN. Better go kung saang RDO ka nakaregister and check which of the 2 are your ablid TIN. I think ung luma na matagal mo ng ginagamit ang valid. Iverify mo tapos icorrect mo sa BIR at sa employer mo para maayos ung records mo.

      Hope this helps Miki

  145. Alyssa
    August 14, 2016 at 2:18 pm

    Hi sir!

    Nagapply po ako ng TIN online as self-employed since sabi sa akin na considered daw as self-employed yung job ko. I’m a part-time ESL online teacher po pala. I received an e-mail containing my TIN and further instructions pa po.I was told to go to BIR for issuance of COR and payment of P500 but I wasn’t able to go there since I’m very busy with school. My company e-mailed me stating that they will be the one to process my TIN (as One time tax payer) since months have already passed and hindi pa rin daw ako nagsubmit ng TIN sa kanila. My question is valid po ba yung TIN number ko kahit hindi pa sya completely na processed? And gusto ko po sana na nka-register as one time tax payer lang po so pwede po ba i-cancel iyong registration ko online? Kasi I’ve learned po na if self-employed mas madami kang taxes na babayaran po and more hassle sya. I’m hoping for your response p sir. Thank you po! 🙂

    • August 17, 2016 at 12:36 am

      Yes Alyssa,

      It is valid simce nauna sya. better ayusin mo na un to avoid the issue of having 2 TIN. Pwede mo pakiusapan sa BIR to change the taxpayer type mo from self-emplpoyed to ONe time payer under EO98. I reason out mo na lng na you are a student and one time mo nga lang marerecieved ung income payment from your online employer. NOw if your online job is actually a recurring and seems a stable one, maybe it is better for you to really register as business para maging legit ka talaga. ALso with such legit registration and BIR documents you can own have a valid proof of earnings kahit online young business mo. In a way you are acting as a contractor for your client(online employer). That way also if in case your intend to expand that is serve other online clients. Mas maganda kung legit business ka and not online a one time freelancer.

      Hope this helps ALyssa.

  146. Marie
    September 21, 2016 at 1:31 pm

    Hi Sir!

    May business kase ako pero nag apply akong work which is different rdo.sabi sa BIR di ako mkakapag change ng rdo since priority ang business ko and I just need to fill up form 2305. Ask ko lang po wala na ba akong ibang kailangan ipakita sa employer bukod sa form?thank you!

    • September 27, 2016 at 10:15 pm

      Hi Marie,

      Ung form ba is nakalagay ung status mo as Mixed Income Earner? Kung un ang nasa form mo then I believe ung form 205 will be sufficient to let your employer know that you are a mixed income earner. Ibig sabihin din nito ikaw na magpafile ng sarili mong ITR come APril 15 kasi nga po mixed income po kayo so the compnay cant include you in the substituted filing.

      I hope this helps Marie. Again if you need further help or clarification ask the sevices of a BIR accredited Tax agent.

  147. jay deloreto
    October 3, 2016 at 11:15 am

    Hi Sir!

    I want to become a professional driver. LTO requires TIN Number. Is it neccessary to present the TIN Card or it is sufficient that I memorize the TIN number. DI pa po kc ako nakakauha ng TIN CARD pero me TIN number na ako. salamat po.

  148. jay deloreto
    October 3, 2016 at 11:16 am

    Please reply sir. Thank you so much.

    • October 3, 2016 at 10:25 pm

      Hi Jay,

      I think you just need the number. But if they require a copy of your TIN Card you can get it from the RDO where you registered for your TIN. If you got your TIN from your first employment you can contact the RDO of that employer and ask for your TIN Card. Try to look for their phone number and call them. If that RDO is too far away, I believe you can ask that you will pick it up to the nearest RDO where you live. The TIN card is usually a simply thick paper where your details are printed. You need to bring your photo and once you got it have it laminated.

      Hope this helps Jay.

      • jay deloreto
        October 7, 2016 at 4:51 pm

        Thanks sir. God bless.

  149. inee
    November 15, 2016 at 6:38 pm

    Hi, Sir Louis.

    I recently resigned in the government service so I have a TIN and I am planning to venture into business (owning a franchise). Can I use my TIN when I was a government employee to sole proprietor? What should I update in the BIR form no. 1905? Do I have to transfer RDO? Is there a need to fill up form no. 2305?

    Thank you. Your respond is very much appreciated.

    • November 23, 2016 at 4:51 pm

      Hi Inee,

      Yes you can use your TIN but you need to update it from employee to self-employed.If the RDO of you old TIN is the same as where will you conduct your business then there is no need to transfer but if your business or residence is in another RDO then you need to transfer RDO.Not sure if there is a need to fill up 2305 since you will update from employee to self-employed already.

      Hope this helps Inee.

  150. joy
    November 23, 2016 at 5:51 pm

    hi sir good day! I am so happy that I found your site and I think that this is really informative so kudos to you sir! btw, I badly need your help. The thing is, I am a working student and I started working as a part time agent february this year po hanggang ngayon. this is first job by the way. Ang problema ko po, ever since nagwork ako hindi daw po ma-generate ng hr namin yung tin ko kasi may similar records daw po ako. I NEVER applied for a tin before at sure ako na hindi sakin yun. Ang sabi po nila pumunta daw po ako sa bir office kung saan nagbabayad ang company namin and inquire about it. binigyan po nila ako ng copy ng form 1902 and they filled out something sa likod. pero nung pumunta po ako dun sa rdo, hindi rin po naresolve yung issue ko kasi dapat daw po hr dept. namin ang nagaasikaso nun at hindi rin daw po ako i-eentertain kahit magpunta pa ako sa main office ng bir. Hanggang ngayon po wala pa rin po akong tin yet binabawasan po ako ng withholding tax every payout ever since nagstart ako. Ngayon po hinahanapan nila ako ng tin kasi baka daw po hindi ko makuha yung 13th month pay ko dahil dun at worst case is baka tax evasion pa daw un. I need your help regarding this kasi hindi ko po alam kung saan ako dapat pumunta at ano po ang dapat gawin. I already sumitted form 1902 last february pa po at nasa hr namin yun.

    p.s I am an accountancy student and hopefully makapasa po sa oct 2017 CPALE. thank you sir! god bless! hope you could reply asap 🙂

    • November 23, 2016 at 11:03 pm

      Hi Joy,

      Anong company mo at anong type of work are you doing?Sabi mo kasi agent?is that a sales agent or a call center agent?Second sinong nakausap mo sa HR?Per SOP it is the responsibility ng first employer na magprocess ng TIN. Unless your work isa salesagent where walang employee-employer relationship.

      Here is what I can advise. Go back to your HR and tell them na nagpunta ka na ng RDO at sinabihan ka na ung employer dapat magprocess. If ayaw nila ask for the HR manager and ask them to double check baka kapangalan mo lng ung nasa record nila. Sabihan mo sila na iprocess nila ung TIN application at kung may problem pag pinrocess nila ikaw ang maglakad sa BIR. Baka tamad lng ung mga HR staff to dig deeper. Usually same name kaya sabi nila may TIN ka na, kung meron nga pano mo nakuha since first job mo ito unless may naprocesska dati dahil sa pagtransact mo with the goverment.

      Hope this helps Joy

  151. Elfren
    January 10, 2017 at 10:30 pm

    Hi Louis,

    I need your help on this. I will be working with a company here in the Philippine but it is a U.S. company and they have an office here. They said that they are going to pay a full salary which means that if I am going earn 10,000 a month, I can get the full 10,000 without deductions like taxes,sss,pag-ibig, and philhealth. And they said that they will be the one to handle the benefits(sss, philhealth, and pag-ibig). Now if I am going to get a TIN,
    1. is it okay to categorize myself as a freelancer or with business?
    2. If not, do I categorize myself as someone earning purely compensation?
    3. Related to no.2, if that is the case, I will be paying my taxes by myself, is that correct?

    Please enlighten me.

    Thanks 🙂

    • January 17, 2017 at 12:55 am

      Hi Efren,

      First what is your type of relationship is establish with, is it an employee-employer or is it a a consultant and a client?

      Second, I don’t get the term where they will take care of the benefits? Are they paying part of the benefits or are they just paying it for you? ANd since they are paying the benefits then this is an employee-employer type of relationship. And if they say they are paying full salary so does that mean they are claiming the benefit as a fringe benefit(you might be in a managerial position then 🙂 )

      I think the more I am confusing you 🙂 .

      Better ask them/ the HR if what type of TIN you are getting since one I dont know exactly what employment relationship do you have. If they say that you are in No.2 then definitely you will be the one processing and paying your taxes.

      Hope this helps Efren

  152. ric.88
    January 25, 2017 at 10:08 pm

    Hi Sir,

    Kung yung tin mo ba is under EO 98, then nagkaroon kna ng work at first employer mo..nadedetect ba nila na yung tin mo ay under EO98?.in my case kasi nagkaruon akong Tin no. Dahil naging job order ako sa school namin dati, at hindi ko alam na ang tin ko ay nagfall under EO 98..ngayon unang tanong ko required ba dapat na yung formal na first employer mo magupdate ng status work?(from EO 98 to etc2)..bale kasi sa magiging pangatlong employer ko lng nalaman na ang TIN ko pala ai under EO 98 nung nagproprocess ako ng pre employment kasi nanakaw sakin yung mga gamit ko way back 2014, at nung nagrequest ako ng 1905 para sa lost tin nilagay nila na EO 98 and iupdate ko daw, at dun lang ako nagka idea kung ano ang EO 98..hehe! Pa sagot na lang nung tanong if kaya masagot..thanx!!! 🙂

  153. Jose
    March 4, 2017 at 11:50 pm

    Hi Sir,

    Itatanong ko lang kasi dati nag work na ako sa isang company for 5 months as apprentice only pero di ko po alam kung nagkaroon na ako ng TIN number sa compay na yun kasi hindi ako kumuha kahit minsan ng payslip panu ko kaya malalaman kung nagkaroon na ako ng TIN sa company na yun?Ngayon OFW na ako gusto ko kumuha sana ng TIN number para pang open ng COL account at mag invest sa stock market anu po kaya magandang gawin ko?Saka kung sakaling my TIN number na nga ako dati pwede ko kayang gamitin yun sa pag open ng COL account at mag invest sa stock market?Need ko ung advise nyo

    Maraming Salamat po

    • March 5, 2017 at 1:08 am

      Hi Jose,

      NOt usre kung may way na sa BIR to check. ALam ko pwede dati itawag sa BIR, I hpe they do as well online. But if you still have contacts sa pinag-apprntices sna mo you can ask. The fact na sumuweldo ka dun(reminder dapat kunin lagi payslip 🙂 ) is dapat kinuhanan ka ng TIN lalo na pag nakaltasan ka ng tax. Better yet kung sakaling makauwi ka , puntahan mo ung RDO ng dati mong company and ask kung pwede maverify. Pag wala you cana pply ng TIN either sa place of residence mo. Pwede ka din mag-apply online but usually dapat mong make sure na ung type ng taxpayer ay ung tama para maayaos ung agad. Minsan kais maling type ng taxpayer ang nagkadefault sa system ng BIR online TIN.

      Hope this helps. ANy readers na nakatry na ulit ng BIR online TIN application? pashare po dito ung experience nyo.


  154. Jen
    April 21, 2017 at 9:37 am

    Hi sir! Im so glad i found your website. Hopefully you can help me sir.

    Insurance agent po ako before 2013-2014. They need tin number po kaya kumuha aq before. Nag file aq nang tin number without paying 500php and without seminar. Nag stop nadin po ako nang insurance agent since wala ako income for 6months.

    Last year Nov 2016, i decided to get my tin number kasi plano ko po mag open nang bank account. And then the staff told me that i have open cases starting 2013 up to present which i have to pay taxes for 190k plus. :'( :'( . Dahil po sa prev. Work q. So i asked the insurance company before to get my certificate of no income. Kaya po last month pa po nabigay sakin. Then i processed po closure this week, but they always insisted that i shud pay the taxes para po ma close even thought meron napo akong proof na wala ako income for 2013-2014. They told me that i shud pay 1000php for every cases.

    Tanong ko lang po:

    1. If you file 1901 form? Automatic na po ba may tax every month? [as insurance agent]

    2. If may proof napo ako, certification of no income for 6months year 2013-2014 coming from insurance company? Is it obliques to pay the tax up to present legally? Hindi ba pwede 6 months lang babayaran since yun yong nakalagay sa certificate na 6 months lang ako sa company nila?

    3. Is it proper for the staff sa BIR to file/encode a TIN for the taxpayer kahit hindi nkabayad nang 500php yung taxpayer? At walay seminar? Wala din certification of registration?

    4. Can you go overseas even if walang TIN? Or it really requires

    5. Why shud i pay 1000php kahit meron napo akong Proof of NO INCOME? :'(

    6. Can i file an assessment po sa BIR?

    7. Should i pay the tax? :'( kahit wala po akong income during the time as sales agent? Kahit my proof na? laki po kasi. :'( :'( :'(

    Hopefully you can help me sir. I really need your help. :'( . Dami ko talaga whys. Thank you so much in advance. GodBless sir.

    • April 22, 2017 at 12:39 am

      Hi Jen,

      I am not a BIR accredited CPA at matagal akong nawala sa Pinas baka luma na ung alam ko but let try my best. You need to talk to one(BIR accredited CPA) para mas malinaw.

      First issue is did the BIR staff give you breakdown nung 190K? Most likely late charge and interest un dahil sa mga violation like non-filing of required forms. You can question the running nung mga charges na un but again depende kung kalian mo nadeclare na wala ka ng income at dapat naclose mo sana noon para hindi na ngpatong-patong.

      The fact na may TIN ka means it was issued. Kaya nag-run na ung mga charges na un. As for the challenge if automatic na ba agad na may TIN ka na kahit hindi ka nagbayad at hindi na-issuehan ng COR(Certificste of Registration) this could be challenged. ANd you need an BIR accredited CPA to see how can you argue this with the BIR.

      Dati hindi pa ata mahigpit but now banks require it and when you apply overseas if your agency needs a bank account they need the TIN in connection to your bank account payments or for whatever tax payment you will do with the government.

      I am not quite sure when you said file an assessment? It is the other way around ang alam ko. But if you mean file a complaint better seek the advice of the BIR accredited CPA in order to clear establish yung case mo. As for paying the tax, again talk to a BIR accredited CPA, they might have a mistake or you can challenge it and eventually lower the penalties(who knows pabayaran lng ung 6 months).

      Hope this helps Jen.

  155. April 21, 2017 at 10:20 am

    Hi sir, I’ve just got my first job and I’ll be earning below minimum wage. My employer asked me to get a TIN number. I’m just confused which form should I file since I’m in below minimum wage and I won’t be deducted on tax? And do I still have to pay 500 pesos for that? Thanks in advance!

  156. April 21, 2017 at 11:37 pm

    Hi sir, I have just got a job from private school and my employer is asking me to get a tin number. I’m under below minimum wage of salary. I’m just confused which form should I file since hindi naman ako babawasan ng tax. At kailangan ko parin ba magbayad ng 500 para sa tin number? Thanks in advance.

    • April 22, 2017 at 12:19 am

      Hi rubyzasylum,

      Furst of all dapat mong malaman ano ba ung type of work relationship meron ka with employer. Is it a employee-employer or that of a contractor and client type. If ung una you are getting compensation and if they are your first employer they should be the one arranging to get your TIN. But if ang type is kung saan ikaw ay isang contractor meaning you yourself is a business and providing service at isa lang sila sa mga client mo then you need to get a TIN as if isa kang in practice of profession thus you are actually registering as a business kaya ka pinagbabayad ng 500 pesos. If you signed a contract read mon maige ung contract para malaman mo kung ano ba ung working relationship mo with the employer.

      Kasi by the way you presented it, sabi mo pinapakuha ka ng employer ng TIN so does that mean ikaw ang kukuha kasi di ba nila maasiakaso or dahil they hired you as a contractor lng and thus hindi nila sagutin mga requiremenst kais you are operating as a professional practicing your profession. With that if you are a professional then kahit minimum ung nakukuha mo sa pag-operate you still need to register and pay the 500 pesos dahil requirement un pag nagregister ka as a business with the BIR. If ordinary employee ka lang you don’t pay any.

      Hope this helps. If naconfuse ka better talk to the accountant of that private school para ma-straighten out mo ung situation mo at ma-clear mo na din kung ano ba talaga ung working relationship mo with the private school

  157. gel
    July 27, 2017 at 4:29 am

    hi sir,

    i would like to seek for enlightenment regarding my gf’s problem with the bir. 12 years ago she registered online to secure a tin number as a requirement. however, due to her innocence and ignorance of the rules, she registered as a sole-proprietor (vat) and made up a business name ( as what was presented to us at the bir in a printed copy). of course she doesn’t remember it. anyway, we were sent a letter saying that she failed to submit a summary of purchases for the first quarter. we went to the bir and asked why she received such when she never had any business from 2006 up to the present.she was then flagged with conversations of penalties and liabilities. she was asked to fill up a closure of business form 1905 but we didnt yet because we insisted that why would we close it when it is none existent. we are told to pay income tax penalties, yearly registration penalties and the value added tax penalties as well. i dont know what to do to turn this around. my questions are:

    1. why do we have to pay for those taxes when the said business is non-existent?

    2. can this be declared void if proven and how do we prove to them that there was no business under that name. what should we do and where do we go?

    3. we were told that we may bee able to be seen as innocent and not have to pay a single amount but it will take years. i didn’t ask for any further details because i was flooded with so many questions in my mind. is it possible that we wont have to pay for all those.

    please, we need your help.

    • July 27, 2017 at 5:47 pm

      Hi gel,

      Unfortunately, I am not in a position to give you an advice on this issue. Better yet, to seek the help of a CPA-Lawyer who can explain to you better the issue. You need proof to show them that no business existed and it was out of error but of course, being BIR we really can’t say what will convince them. Personally, they are just after the penalties per year (that is 12 years of non-filing and late filing per form that you should have filed and paid if you are a business). Also BIR do tax mapping, they should have already figured out that the business was bogus so that does mean they never conducted any tax mapping for that business? Unfortunately, there is a fault as well on your gf’s side since she never actioned the email that BIR might have sent.

      Again, my advice is for your to seek guidance from a CPA-Lawyer.

      • gel
        July 27, 2017 at 7:08 pm

        thank you for your response. To answer your questions,first of all, she received her first letter from the BIR the other day. On the next day, we directly went to BIR to tell them that there must be some mistake because she never had any business. secondly, about tax mapping, there was none - no one from BIR showed up at their house (since the address was actually a home address) which wasn’t a surprise to us since ,again, there was no business at all. we told them about that. i believe you are right about them trying to not only collect but this is an act of deceiving people. They say that this is generated by their system. on the 12 years of this mistake I’m positively sure that it came up in their system repeatedly and yet they chose to do nothing or not do their job at all which is a form of irresponsibility on their part. they were supposed to inform us of all these things. they could have given her some early warning even on the first years and yet none. they chose to come out in the open after 12 years. Why is that? I’m sorry if I took all this time to express my grievances on what they did. They are supposed to do their part as well even if it was my girlfriend’s mistake. they could have done their part on the early months. Thank you for the time sir. and yes, you are indeed right, a CPA lawyer is needed for this. two more questions please. Do you think we have something worth fighting for? What are the chances of making it out of this situation?

        • July 28, 2017 at 4:30 pm

          Hi gel,

          From what I heard, yes you can fight for this but knowing BIR they would also fight…. they may not force the amount they initially computed as penalties, but it will end up always to compromise. By the way, there are some good law abiding employees in BIR but sad to say there are more people on the other side. Seek the help of a CPA lawyer and better settle this right away.

          I wish you luck and speedy resolution to this issue gel!

  158. February 2, 2018 at 12:47 pm


    I just wanna ask, how can I get Permanent T.I.N. ID for permanent. I am applying for DFA though, they did not accept my T.I.N. ID (not digitized). Is there any fee to get a digitized BIR ID?

    • March 13, 2018 at 5:19 pm

      Hi Michael,

      Not sure though kung san nakukuha ung digitized. Mine is the old one as well. Anyone please who knows where to get a digitized TIN ID Card?

      Your help is appreciated.

  159. Nicole
    April 23, 2018 at 1:48 am

    Hi, Sir Louis. I don’t know if this thread/page is still active, but I might as well give it a go.

    I am unemployed. So, no TIN. But me and my friend are forming a Partnership under SEC for a simple food business which will be funded by family, not ourselves. Company/Partnership registration asks for list of Partners/entities and their info which includes the TIN. Otherwise, we can’t go to the next step.

    Obviously I can’t register as employee because I don’t have an employer. And I am not self-employed yet, so I feel like the book of accounts, etc are unnecessary. Can I just register under EO 98 first just so I can put a TIN number on the registration? Since it will be months before the business is actually set up anyway? And I will also be able to use it to open a bank account.

    I hope you can reply. I have been stressing about this for a month already. Thank you very much!

    • April 23, 2018 at 7:28 am

      Hi Nicole,

      You might need to consult BIR so that you can apply for TIN correctly. Explain the situation and they should be able to advice you the correct type of application.

      On the side note, I believe you must consult an accountant in establishing the partnership. The fact that you mentioned that the capital of the parrnership is not yours but from someone else is an issue. Partners are the one suppose to be contributing the capital. If other people are funding the partnership, you should clearly establish whether they are just your creditors or silent partners as well.

      I hope this helps.

  160. April 27, 2018 at 1:47 pm

    My friend and I are applying for TIN. Employed na po kami sa National Defense College of the Philippines (NDCP) under Contract of Service (COS). On our contract, it indicates po na “There is No Employer-Employee relationship” kaya hindi po kami ieendorse ng NDCP sa pagkuha ng TIN. We personally went to RDO 28, then nag-inquire po sa mga kelangan na ifill-up na forms and ask for the required attachments. The forms that are given to us are 1901 (Application for Registration) , 0605 (Payment Form), and 1906 (Application for Authority to Print Receipts and Invoices). We have no problems po sa 1901 and 0605, pero nag-alangan po kami sa 1906 kaya we consulted our Accounting department about this. Sabi nila hindi naman daw po kasama yung 1906 sa pag-apply ng TIN. This means po ba na pagbalik namin sa RDO 28 pwede na pong magproceed na kami sa registration without the 1906 form? And what is the 1906 for anyway?

    Thanks in advance

Your ideas, opinion, and contributions to the topic will help us learn more ways towards financial freedom! Please leave some in the box below and make our quest more exciting!

%d bloggers like this: