PLDT – DGTL deal finally approved

0saves
source: http://teknisyan.net
Got this news today from Businessworld @ www.bworldonline.com
This deal has been hanging since June and PLDT has to sacrifice some in order for this to culminate. The main sacrifice made was a divestment of one of PLDT’s frequencies which would as they say make the playing field level with Globe Telecom.
Below is an excerpt of the news:
PLDT-Digitel deal approved

PHILIPPINE Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT) completed on Wednesday its delayed takeover of rival Digital Telecommunications Philippines, Inc. (Digitel), saying regulators had approved the transaction. The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) confirmed that it had greenlighted the P69.2-billion deal — announced early this year and originally scheduled for completion in June — but also put in place several conditions that included the dominant telco’s divestment of some of its frequencies.

PLDT said it had accepted the NTC’s requirements, while second-ranked Globe Telecom, Inc. — which had questioned the purchase and claimed that it would lead to a return to a monopoly — said it was satisfied that regulators had moved to protect consumers and promote fair competition.

source: http://www.philippinenewsdaily.com

PLDT’s acquisition of JG Summit Holdings, Inc.’s 51.55% stake in Digitel will give the dominant telco some 70% of the domestic mobile market, leaving Globe about 30%. PLDT said it would soon announce a tender offer for the rest of Digitel.

Shortly after PLDT’s announcement, 3.277 billion shares of Digitel changed hands via a cross sale in the stock market at P1.6033 per share.

In exchange for the Digitel stake, JG Summit will get 12.9% of PLDT, comprising 27.7 million common shares at P2,500 apiece.

PLDT also acquired the zero-coupon convertible bonds issued by Digitel to its parent and assumed P34.1 billion in advances made by JG Summit to Digitel.

“After due evaluation of the various factors and issues involved, it has granted the application for approval of the sale and transfer to the PLDT of initially approximately 51.55% equity in Digitel,” NTC commissioner Gamaliel A. Cordoba said in a press conference.

The NTC decision came a day before a 90-day review period was to expire. The protracted regulatory approval period had prompted PLDT and JG Summit to thrice suspend the deal’s planned completion.

The regulator said PLDT would have to continue Digitel’s unlimited text and call services. “Regarding the unlimited services, we want it to be permanent, continuous and we want a nationwide-reach [for these services],” Mr. Cordoba said, adding that Digitel’s mobile service should be kept separate.

PLDT was also required to divest 10 megahertz of 3G frequencies held by Connectivity Unlimited Resource Enterprises, Inc. (CURE), a unit of subsidiary Smart Communications, Inc. CURE’s frequencies will be auctioned off and PLDT will not be allowed to bid, Mr. Cordoba said.

“Another condition requires PLDT and Digitel to continue providing high quality service to their respective subscribers,” he said. 

See all awesome STOCK REPORTS in PinoyInvestor! (size 375x192)

(Click here to read more of this news)




This news suddenly made the price of TEL surge 

source: http://www.pse.com.ph

Coupled with the recent news in the Eurozone that the Greek bailout has finally been made we are hoping that today’s positive news will continually drive the PSEi to rise to its previous high and hopefully bring back the bullish air in the Philippine Stock Market.
Financial Freedom Advocate About the blogger

Louis Delos Angeles is a Certified Public Accountant, blogger behind Investing in Philippines, and author of Investing in Stocks: Preparing for the future small amount at a time. Check him out in Google+ Learn more about Louis and his financial freedom advocacy here.

Enjoyed this post? Please consider leaving a comment , subscribing to the RSS feed, or join our email list .

Your ideas, opinion, and contributions to the topic will help us learn more ways towards financial freedom! Please leave some in the box below and make our quest more exciting!

%d bloggers like this: